store different tables in different locations

От Duan Ligong
Тема store different tables in different locations
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi, all

I have several questions to bother you. :)

1 For postgresql, is it POSSIBLE to store different tables in different
locations where we specify? For one postgresql management process,
 is it POSSIBLE to store different database in differentlocations
 where we specify?

2 Is it appropriate to use Postgresql to store data for the following
situation:
The whole system consists of about 400 machines and I have to
develop a program collecting the information about capacity and
performance and networt setting and so on of each machines
and displaying them for the administrators and some related
guys. Moreover, I have to store some history data to display graphes
 and curvers. My design is as follows: one daemon process running
on each machine to collect data and send it to the database which
is in one specified machine.
The bad thing is that the size of database is asked to be resricted
in 900MB for some reasons.
The questions are:
 (a) Is it appropriate to use postgresql database in this case?
If not, any sugguestion will be appreciated.
     In fact considered using common file to store data. but you know,
 it is possible that daemon processes on other 399 machines send data
 simultaneously, ...

 (b) It seems hard to estimate the maximum size of the database,
because frequently updating and inserting opreations will cause unused
 space not acclaiming in time and we have to routinely vaccum.
Is there any good and easy, :) way to estimate the maximum size of
 postgresql database accurately?

Best regards,
Duan

--