Re: How to make this CTE also print rows with 0 as count?

От David Johnston
Тема Re: How to make this CTE also print rows with 0 as count?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

Food for thought, generally when you want "everything including the zeros"
you want to build the "master" set without any values, build out the "values
only" dataset, then LEFT JOIN them and use COALESCE to generate values for
the missing data.

So:

SELECT id, stamp, COALESCE(datavalues.zcount, 0) AS zcount
FROM (cal CROSS JOIN id_master) master
LEFT JOIN datavalues USING (id, stamp)

Also, the mixing of multiple FROM relations and JOINs is confusing.  In
particular is the fact the JOIN takes precedence over the "," in FROM

"A JOIN clause combines two FROM items. Use parentheses if necessary to
determine the order of nesting. In the absence of parentheses, JOINs nest
left-to-right. In any case JOIN binds more tightly than the commas
separating FROM items."

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-select.html

Your query is equivalent to:

SELECT ...
FROM v CROSS JOIN (cal LEFT JOIN q USING stamp)
WHERE ...

Anyway, the "create master, left join data, coalesce" methodology is one
that I find to be easy to understand and implement.

HTH,

David J.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: