Deleting large amount of data.

От Vilson farias
Тема Deleting large amount of data.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Greetings,

    I'm having some perfomance problems related with large amount of tuples in a table, so I decided to start programming some shell scripts to be placed in crontad to remove old data every night.

   Now, my questions are :

  If I just execute a DELETE * FROM WHERE call_start < '2002-08-21' and call_start > '2002-08-20', and that interval has 100.000 tuples, does DELETE start and commit a transaction for every single deletion?

  And If I put a BEGIN at the beginning and a COMMIT at the end, do deleted tuples overload transaction logs?

  Finally, what's the best thing to do?

Best regards.

José Vilson de Mello de Farias
Software Engineer