Re: Deleting "parent" record

От Félix Sánchez Rodríguez
Тема Re: Deleting "parent" record
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I found the origin of my problem very easily. The fact is that I didn't know that one could see the tables' relationships within Navicat. When I checked my faculty table it turned out that there were 5 relationships between the two fields. The problem was, obviously, that adding a new foreign key clause doesn't delete the previous one. I didn't know that. Now I can delete the parent record.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Deleting "parent" record

The parent table is called "login" and the child one is "faculty".

The error says:

ERROR: null value in column "idlogin" violates not null-constraint
CONTEXT: SQL statement "UPDATE ONLY "public"."faculty" SET "idlogin"=NULL WHERE "idlogin" = "$1"

To be honest, I created a new test DB and added a parent and a child table with ON DELETE CASCADE and when I deleted the parent record it was all OK. I'm wondering if the problem could be that the "login" and "faculty" tables were not initially created with ON DELETE CASCADE on their relationship, but instead, I modified it later using a query. Any case, here I post both tables' structure.

Create table "login"
(
 "idlogin" Serial NOT NULL,
 "user" Varchar(15) NOT NULL UNIQUE,