Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other

От Anony Mous
Тема Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other
Дата
Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
A few days ago there was a fellow that had trouble connecting remotely to
the 8.0 beta win port.  I had the same problem, but have since found the
solution.  In postgresql.conf file, ensure the line "listen_addresses" is
set to '*', ie,

listen_addresses = '*'

This should do it.  Can someone explain to my why this line is here?
Wouldn't the settings in the pg_hba.conf file limit who is able to connect?
If so, why not set the listen_addresses to '*' right away?

Also, while I'm at it, one more question if I may...

I'd like to be able to run a batch file to perform some tasks immediately
following installation of the database.  For example,

createuser -U [super user name] -a -d [user name]

but it always fails because I don't know how to add the password for the
super user into the command line, and of course the super user will always
have a password.  Is there a way to do this?

Much thanks to all.