Re: Request for qualified column names

От Reggie Burnett
Тема Re: Request for qualified column names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Well, certainly the driver could parse the sql and extract what it
thinks is the table name.  It just seems quite foreign to me to have a
database engine go through the motions of determining column location
and have ready access to all the metadata for all the columns in a
resultset and then intentionally leave all that out of the FE/BE.  Now,
for us driver writers, if I have a select statement that has 20 columns
I will need to extract the tablename myself (and hope I got it right)
and then execute 20 separate queries to the database in order to
implement any type of schema generation.  I guess I don't understand
this when just a few extra bytes in the RowDescriptor message would have
fixed all this.

Reggie