Re: Database clone stuck in the middle

От Gnanakumar
Тема Re: Database clone stuck in the middle
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thank you very much for sharing this "nohup" command.  That's really
helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Grittner [mailto:Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2010 7:09 PM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org; gnanam@zoniac.com
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Database clone stuck in the middle

"Gnanakumar" <gnanam@zoniac.com> wrote:

> I connect to our database which is hosted remotely using PuTTY
> thro SSH protocol.

> my Internet got disconnected in the middle,
> so database cloning was also stuck in the middle.

> 4. Considering this Internet disconnection problem, what is the
> safest way to clone a database using CREATE DATABASE WITH TEMPLATE
> command, so that this will not happen in the future?

You putty to the server and run psql from a shell on the database
server?

If so, try putting the word "nohup" in front of "psql" -- that tells
the program to keep running even if the connection is lost.  (It is
short for "no hangup", I believe.)

On the other questions, I suspect that you'd be OK to delete the
partial database, as long as it doesn't show up in pg_database.  A
command which doesn't run to completion is always *supposed* to
leave the database cluster in a good state.  It never hurts to make
sure you've got a good backup before trying anything unusual,
however.

-Kevin