Mass updates on a large table

От Mark Steben
Тема Mass updates on a large table
Дата
Re: Mass updates on a large table
Список pgsql-admin

Good afternoon,

I am attempting an update on two new date field columns on a 17 million row table.  Every row gets updated.

The update statement is a simple one:

  UPDATE EMAILRCPTS SET ID = ID

 And the update of the new date fields themselves occurs as the result of a before trigger.

The update took 3 days, 10 hours to complete on the testing box.  I have already adjusted the CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS parameter up by 3X

To minimize the impact of checkpoints.   The SHARED_BUFFERS parameter has been bumped up to 140000 on a 20meg RAM box.

There are about 9 indexes on this table although none of them reference the date fields so since there are no inserts I don’t think they would have an impact on the update  (I’ve been wrong before though)

Would an update statement referencing the date fields work faster than a trigger?  Do you have any other suggestions to speed this up?

We simply cannot afford this table to be down for 3+ days during a production update.  The production box is a 32meg RAM box.

We are at Postgres 7.4.5.

Thanks for your time and brainpower

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenue™
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben@autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message in error and then delete it.  Thank you.