Need your help

От Siddharth Rath (sirath)
Тема Need your help
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,
I'm quite new to PostgresSQL and facing a trouble while trying to install and run as per the
guide line.

I did the following : Installing from su systran :
1) ./configure --enable-multibyte --with-perl --without-readline --prefix=/apps/systran/postgresql --bindir=/apps/systran/postgresql/bin --datadir=/apps/systran/postgresql/share && make && make install
(--without-readline  option is there as it was throwing an error that the same libs are missing and suggested to use this option)
2)make
3)make install
4)mkdir /apps/systran/postgresql/data
5)/apps/systran/postgresql/bin/initdb -D /apps/systran/postgresql/data
6)/apps/systran/postgresql/bin/postmaster -D  /apps/systran/postgresql/data >logfile 2>&1 &

at the end of 6th step I did receivethe following in my log file.
I cant reconfigure the kernel with larger SHMMAX.
Please let me know how can I reduce the request size  (currently 1499136 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 64) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 32).
*************************************************************************************************************************
Error details :

IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1499136, 03600) failed: Invalid argument

This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared memory
segment exceeded your kernel's SHMMAX parameter.  You can either
reduce the request size or reconfigure the kernel with larger SHMMAX.
To reduce the request size (currently 1499136 bytes), reduce
PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 64) and/or
its max_connections parameter (currently 32).

If the request size is already small, it's possible that it is less than
your kernel's SHMMIN parameter, in which case raising the request size or
reconfiguring SHMMIN is called for.

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
shared memory configuration.

thanx in advance

Regards
Sidd