Re: VARCHAR -vs- CHAR: huge performance difference?

От Iain
Тема Re: VARCHAR -vs- CHAR: huge performance difference?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Benny,

What happens if you recreate the table using varchar? I mean use the same
procedure yoused to create the table with char, but leave the definitions as
varchar.

Personally, I can't see any logical reason for char being faster. The
problem is the size of the row, each row spans multiple database pages and
all have to be read to do a count. It's a lot of IO, and varchar should
actually be more compact in your case.

I would think that the speedup you see is a result of the table having a
fresh new organization. Anyway, I'm interested to hear what happens if you
do the test above.

I liked Scot's suggestion of using a small table containing only the IDs to
use for counting. A serial scan of this small table could be expected to be
much faster. Postgres doesnt use an index in the case you specified, as I
understand it.

Regards
Iain