Re: postgresql amd-64

От Iain
Тема Re: postgresql amd-64
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Andrew,

I had never heard of Ubuntu before, thanks for the tip.

regards
iain
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew McMillan" <andrew@catalyst.net.nz>
To: "Iain" <iain@mst.co.jp>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] postgresql amd-64

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 11:13 +0900, Iain wrote:
> I'm hoping I'll have the opportunity to build a similar machine soon and
> am
> wondering about the choice of 64 bit distributions.
>
> Gentoo is obviously a possibility but I'm also condsidering Debian. There
> is
> also a 64 compile of redhat sources somewhere around, but I can't remember
> what they call it offhand.
>
> If anyone has opinions about that, I'd be happy to hear.

Hi Iain,

We are using Debian on a few dual-Opteron systems and a number of AMD64
desktop systems and it is working fine.

We are also using Ubuntu, which can be installed with the "Custom"
options for a server, is Debian based, and includes PostgreSQL in the
basic supported package set.

Due to the better security support for AMD64 in Ubuntu we are likely to
migrate our server environments to that, at least until there is a more
officially support AMD64 port for Debian.

Cheers,
     Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
                        Don't get to bragging.