Обсуждение: postgresql amd-64

postgresql amd-64

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
Does anybody have any experiences with postgresql 7.4+ running on amd-64
in 64 bit mode?  Specifically, does it run quicker and if so do the
performance benefits justify the extra headaches running 64 bit linux?

Right now I'm building a dual Opteron 246 with 4 gig ddr400.

Merlin

Re: postgresql amd-64

От
Daniel Ceregatti
Дата:
I have two dual opteron 248's with 4g of ram each, 6x36G 15k rpm ultra
320 scsi disks in hardware raid 5, and they are by far the fastest
machines I've user used. As far as this "headache" of using 64 bit
Linux, I've experienced no such thing. I'm using gentoo on both
machines, which are dedicated for postgres 7.4 and replicated with
slony. They're both quite fast and reliable. One machine even runs a
secondary instance of pg, pg 8 beta4 in this case, for development,
which also runs quite well.

Daniel

Merlin Moncure wrote:

>Does anybody have any experiences with postgresql 7.4+ running on amd-64
>in 64 bit mode?  Specifically, does it run quicker and if so do the
>performance benefits justify the extra headaches running 64 bit linux?
>
>Right now I'm building a dual Opteron 246 with 4 gig ddr400.
>
>Merlin

Daniel Ceregatti - Programmer
Omnis Network, LLC

The forest is safe because a lion lives therein and the lion is safe because
it lives in a forest.  Likewise the friendship of persons rests on mutual help.
        -- Laukikanyay.

Re: postgresql amd-64

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
> I have two dual opteron 248's with 4g of ram each, 6x36G 15k rpm ultra
> 320 scsi disks in hardware raid 5, and they are by far the fastest
> machines I've user used. As far as this "headache" of using 64 bit
> Linux, I've experienced no such thing. I'm using gentoo on both
> machines, which are dedicated for postgres 7.4 and replicated with
> slony. They're both quite fast and reliable. One machine even runs a
> secondary instance of pg, pg 8 beta4 in this case, for development,
> which also runs quite well.

Good, I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with...thx.

Merlin

Re: postgresql amd-64

От
"Vishal Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]"
Дата:
Merlin,

> Good, I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with...thx.

Do share your experience with us.

--
With Best Regards,
Vishal Kashyap.

Re: postgresql amd-64

От
"Iain"
Дата:
I'm hoping I'll have the opportunity to build a similar machine soon and am
wondering about the choice of 64 bit distributions.

Gentoo is obviously a possibility but I'm also condsidering Debian. There is
also a 64 compile of redhat sources somewhere around, but I can't remember
what they call it offhand.

If anyone has opinions about that, I'd be happy to hear.

regards
Iain

>I have two dual opteron 248's with 4g of ram each, 6x36G 15k rpm ultra
> 320 scsi disks in hardware raid 5, and they are by far the fastest
> machines I've user used. As far as this "headache" of using 64 bit
> Linux, I've experienced no such thing. I'm using gentoo on both
> machines, which are dedicated for postgres 7.4 and replicated with
> slony. They're both quite fast and reliable. One machine even runs a
> secondary instance of pg, pg 8 beta4 in this case, for development,
> which also runs quite well.
>
> Daniel
>
> Merlin Moncure wrote:
>
>>Does anybody have any experiences with postgresql 7.4+ running on amd-64
>>in 64 bit mode?  Specifically, does it run quicker and if so do the
>>performance benefits justify the extra headaches running 64 bit linux?
>>
>>Right now I'm building a dual Opteron 246 with 4 gig ddr400.
>>
>>Merlin

>>TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html
>>

> --
>
> Daniel Ceregatti - Programmer
> Omnis Network, LLC
>
> The forest is safe because a lion lives therein and the lion is safe
> because
> it lives in a forest.  Likewise the friendship of persons rests on mutual
> help.
> -- Laukikanyay.

Re: postgresql amd-64

От
"Iain"
Дата:
Hi Andrew,

I had never heard of Ubuntu before, thanks for the tip.

regards
iain