Two question about performance tuning issue.

От Kangmo, Kim
Тема Two question about performance tuning issue.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi, I'm a newbie to postgresql, and I have 2 questions.

1. shared memory hash key is string.
why don't we use predefined integer value?
I think it is dangerous to use string for key value,
because it can be mistyped , which might lead us to debug more and more.

2. appendStringInfoChar reallocates every bytes whenever needed,
why don't reallocate chunk for better performace?
because initStringInfo allocates only 256 bytes ,
pg_beginmessage prepared 256 bytes of StringInfo for communication buffer.

It's hard to analyze pgsql source code,
because I'm a newbie, and have no idea about postgres internals,
But I will try hard!!

Thank you.