Re: How to create a *pass-through-query* in postgresql

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: How to create a *pass-through-query* in postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Please don't post html mail to mailing lists - it screws up quoting.

From: "DI Hasenöhrl" <i.hasenoehrl@aon.at>

Hello all,

>I use postgresql as backend and MsAccess97 as frontend via ODBC.
>I know, how to use VBA and pass through queries to update or insert rows in
postgresql->tables.
>But I don't know, how to do this the other way round, from postgresql to
MsAccess.
>I want to develop a trigger, which updates or inserts rows in some local
tables in >MsAccess on the client side.

Don't think you can do this via ODBC. You can listen for NOTIFY signals with
a real PostgreSQL client, but I wouldn't think ODBC would support this. I
can only think of two ways to approach this:

Have a "change" table and update a timestamp in it whenever a target table
is updated. Then clients can poll once a minute or whatever and see if their
local timestamp is older than the one in the change table.

Or - rig some out-of-band communication. Have a perl script listen for
NOTIFY on the server and signal that to the clients (or just synchronise the
client tables via ODBC).

- Richard Huxton

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: