Re: Is there a way around function search_path killing SQL function inlining? - and backup / restore issue

От Regina Obe
Тема Re: Is there a way around function search_path killing SQL function inlining? - and backup / restore issue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Hmm.  The meaning of funcs.inline depends on the search_path, not just during dump restoration but all the time.  So
anythinguses it under a different search_path setting than the normal one will have this kind of problem; not just

> dump/restore.

> I don't have a very good idea what to do about that.

> --
> Robert Haas
> EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

I wasn't suggesting it was a restore only issue, but it's most felt when your data doesn't come back.  It affects any
extensionthat relies on another extension.

Take for example, I have tiger geocoder which relies on fuzzystrmatch.  I have no idea where someone installs
fuzzystrmatchso I can't schema qualify those calls.  I use that dependent function to use to build an index on tables.

The indexes don't come back.  What I was trying to suggest (side topic, forget about inline issue),

Is the pg_dump should have a switch to allow users to tack on extra schemas

So that the dump restore set search_path thing looks like:

Set search_path=my_data_schema, pg_catalog, whatever_otehr_schemas_I_have_for_db

People can choose to use that switch or not.  So that way if people do have database search_paths, they normally run
with,their data will come back.

Am I missing something here in this suggestion?  It's one of the most common complaints I hear about PostgreSQL in
generaland the crazy things people do to get around the issue like doing plain text dumps and parsing the dump.

Thanks,
Regina

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - V18
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Provide much better wait information in pg_stat_activity.