Re: pg_dumpall

От Donald Fraser
Тема Re: pg_dumpall
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Donald Fraser wrote:
>
> > PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
> >
> > I issue the following command:
> > CREATE DATABASE "CISX" WITH OWNER = postgres TEMPLATE = template1
ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII';

> > When I do a backup from the database using pg_dumpall (with no command
line options) it creates the following:
> > CREATE DATABASE "CISX" WITH OWNER = postgres TEMPLATE = template0
ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII';

> > I don't know whether this is a bug or not as I can't find any hard
documentation to say otherwise?

> I'd guess not, because the objects you copied from template1 when making
> the database are part of the dumpall output.  If you made it from
> template1 after the backup you'd get anything that was in the new
> template1 plus all of the old objects.

Ok I understand now... I haven't been using template1 with non-pg_catalog
objects.
My question now would be, is there an easy way to place your own objects
into pg_catalog for template0? (In advance of why... it is much easier to
apply any upgrades / patches to my own customisations when they are not
backed up into the standard backup - otherwise you have to manually edit the
backup file which is much harder to do than apply a patch to the template.)

Regards Donald