Re: Notifications

От Donald Fraser
Тема Re: Notifications
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello again,
I had to rush off to a Christmas meal last night, hence the late reply....

Well today I looked extensively into the problem and discovered that the NOTIFY
messages are arriving outside the firewall.
I used psql which itself connected to the database with ssl and received its
own NOTIFY messages ok
.
Looking at our software, which is java, the problem lies in the implementation
of receiving NOTIFY messages. It uses a separate thread to check the input
stream of the socket for incoming data. The problem is related to ssl, the ssl
input stream (implemented by sun) does not appear to implement the
"available()" method, or at least that is what I'm seeing. According to the
documentation the default implementation always returns 0, where as the non-ssl
input stream definitely does implement the "available()" method which returns
the number of bytes that can be read from the input stream without blocking.
According to sun subclasses of InputStream should implemet the "available()"
method. Why didn't they just make it an abstract method forcing an
implementation - now our code is broken because of it!

This will not be an easy work around....

Thanks again for the input,
regards
Donald Fraser