Re: Tape/DVD Backup Suggestions?

От Sander Steffann
Тема Re: Tape/DVD Backup Suggestions?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

> It's easy to believe you're saving money; the question is, how far are
> your backup disks from the machine they're backing up? Some people have
> a requirement for off-site backups so that they they still have their
> data if their building burns down.

Yep. In our situation tapes have to be stored inside a safe. At least one
recent tape must be off-site, etc. Not only for when the building burns
down, but also because someone might break in and steal equipment.

> However, you're right that disk has many advantages. A big one is speed.
> You can do the backups themselves much faster and even skip the verify
> pass (if you're using tape, you really should be verifying you can read
> every single one you write)

I realy like tapedrives with built-in read-after-write. Our AIT2 drive
automatically checks if everything is written reliably, and if not, it
automatically rewrites the data.

Makes me sleep better :)
Sander.