Increasing 8k row limit

От mike focosi
Тема Increasing 8k row limit
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I've read in the postgresql FAQ that it is possible to increase the 8k row
limit by editing 'include/config.h' and recompiling postresql. this is
something that I am considering since I have a great deal of web scripts
that are currently limited to 8k.

What I need to know, and have not been able to find any documentation or
tips about, is whether or not increasing the row limit would recommended.
Are there any reasons why I would not want to do this? Any side effects or
problems that anybody has experienced?

I've looked into large objects and really don't want to go that route if
possible. (Actually, I'm hoping postgres 7.1 will come out soon. I've read
that it will have no row limit.) Also thought about (and have done in some
cases) programmatically working around the limit. Like having another table
that stores chunks of text (<8k) etc. But that seems like a hack that'd I'd
really not want to do.

We're running is running PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on our primary database server and
am hoping to move to 7+ soon. We have about 30-40 databases and our primary
scripting language is PHP 4.

If anybody has increased the limit on their PostgreSQL installation in a
production environment, I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences or,
hopefully not, dashed hopes and woes.

thanks
-mike

mike focosi