Re: Multibyte or not?

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Multibyte or not?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Chantal,

You probably should post this on the general list or the hackers list.
Yes it will be faster with multibyte disabled since you will use have
the number of bytes. However I don't think that you are going to get a
really big bang for your buck there.

AFAIK the biggest will be ram size or cache size, and disk speed.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Chantal Ackermann
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 7:34 AM
To: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: [JDBC] Multibyte or not?

Hello all,

at the mysql-admin list I found a posting that says a non-multibyte
built of
the database would be faster than a multibyte one. My question is - do I

always need a multibyte built if I plan to access the db with jdbc or do
only need it if the data is non-ascii? i know that java uses unicode but
does
that really matter unless I want to enter non-ascii letters?

actually this came to my mind when I was in search for some tuning
hints. I
don't think this is the right place to ask this (would 'psql-admin' be
that?)
- but maybe one of you had similar problems?
I am doing a lot of checking and inserting at runtime. while the java
thread
holds ~38Mb (~500Mb) it uses only 1.7% CPU (~900Hz). postgresql uses
less
than 4Mb at more than 90% CPU. I already doubled the effective cache
size to
be '2000' but that did not change anything.

I wonder if the postgres would be faster if it would use more RAM. or is
this
the bottle neck's end (unless I get a better CPU)?

thank you
Chantal