Re: Request for qualified column names

От Reggie Burnett
Тема Re: Request for qualified column names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I'm certainly not trying to be difficult, I just don't know a lot about
the internals of PostgreSQL.  I'm developing some interfaces to various
databases and certainly wanted to include PostgreSQL.

From my less-than-qualified viewpoint, I would have thought including
the base table name and bit pattern indicating certain features
(nullability, primary index, etc) for each column in the RowDescriptor
message would have been the best.  Since my driver will need to support
current and previous versions of PostgreSQL, my plan is to write some
code to parse a SQL statement and extract the table names. (ugh!)

One approach might be to add the tables's oid to the RowDescriptor
message.  Would not be perfect since I still would have many roundtrips
to the database to get metadata, but since I don't need metadata in
every case I can leave that step out until someone requests it.

Reggie