Re: Question about DB VACUUM

От Chris White (cjwhite)
Тема Re: Question about DB VACUUM
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I made the changes you suggested and the usage was about the same

Initial after vacuum full
bash-2.05b# du -s -b /data/sql
57729024    /data/sql

After 1st iteration
bash-2.05b# du -s -b /data/sql
57978880    /data/sql

249856 byte increase

After 2nd iteration
bash-2.05b# du -s -b /data/sql
58052608    /data/sql

73728 byte increase

After 3rd iteration
bash-2.05b# du -s -b /data/sql
58101760    /data/sql

49152 byte increase

After 4th iteration
bash-2.05b# du -s -b /data/sql
58126336    /data/sql

24576 byte increase

However what I am seeing is the pg_largeobject table is growing.

Vacuum info after 1st iteration

NOTICE:  --Relation pg_largeobject--
NOTICE:  Index pg_largeobject_loid_pn_index: Pages 157; Tuples 2564:
Deleted 168.    CPU 0.02s/0.01u sec elapsed 0.04 sec.
NOTICE:  Removed 168 tuples in 28 pages.
    CPU 0.01s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.01 sec.
NOTICE:  Pages 61: Changed 61, Empty 0; Tup 2564: Vac 168, Keep 458,
UnUsed 360.
    Total CPU 0.03s/0.02u sec elapsed 0.06 sec.

Vacuum info after 4th iteration

NOTICE:  --Relation pg_largeobject--
NOTICE:  Index pg_largeobject_loid_pn_index: Pages 161; Tuples 2576:
Deleted 629.    CPU 0.00s/0.03u sec elapsed 0.05 sec.
NOTICE:  Removed 629 tuples in 68 pages.
    CPU 0.02s/0.04u sec elapsed 0.06 sec.
NOTICE:  Pages 71: Changed 55, Empty 0; Tup 2576: Vac 629, Keep 464,
UnUsed 635.
    Total CPU 0.03s/0.07u sec elapsed 0.13 sec.

The index has grown by 4 pages and the table has grown by 10 pages. BTW,
what is a page size? Why is this happening as this is the table that I
am theoretically keeping the same size by adding/deleting the same
objects from.

Chris