Re: URGENT : StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Cannotassign

От Siddharth Rath (sirath)
Тема Re: URGENT : StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Cannotassign
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Tom,
I don't understand what you meant by "This is a kernel-level issue and you need to be inquiring ..." . If you please
tellme what
and how I should enquire and what may be the possible reason for this bind call failure then I can contact our Sysadmin
tohelp me
out.

Thanx and regards
Sidd

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 10:01 AM
To: sirath@cisco.com
Cc: 'Rob'; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] URGENT : StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Cannotassign

"Siddharth Rath (sirath)" <sirath@cisco.com> writes:
> Surprisingly .s.PGSQL.5432 file is not getting created in /tmp
> directory ( I believe this should be created).

No, it shouldn't, because that is associated with the creation of the Unix socket file, which happens after creation of
theTCP
socket.

Given that you're seeing a kernel error on attempt to create the TCP socket, I'm convinced that you're wasting your
timethinking
about Postgres-internal conditions.  This is a kernel-level issue and you need to be inquiring into what state the
kernelis in that
is making it reject the bind().

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend