Re: [SPAM] Re: WAL directory size calculation

От FarjadFarid\(ChkNet\)
Тема Re: [SPAM] Re: WAL directory size calculation
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Sorry the URL should have been https://www.maytech.net/

Of course there are other companies in this space.

From: Moreno Andreo [mailto:moreno.andreo@evolu-s.it]
Sent: 29 July 2016 12:08
To: FarjadFarid(ChkNet) <farjad.farid@checknetworks.com>; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: [GENERAL] WAL directory size calculation

Il 29/07/2016 11:44, FarjadFarid(ChkNet) ha scritto:

The question to ask is what benefit would you gain by saving BLOB object on a database than on say a flat file server or url on an ftp server? Specially larger ones.

Privacy. Blobs are stored encrypted, since they are health-related images or documents.
You should be right if all of this data would be resident only on our server (that can only be accessed by application), but every user has a small PG cluster in his PC with his patients data and images that replicates continuously with our server.
Our application runs on Windows. To get into patient data from another user (say, someone that stole the computer) is a bit tricky, because you have to know how to exclude authentication in postgres and even after this, you have to know where to search and what to search and sometines what is the meaning on the encodings.
Imagine if we have a folder containing all images.... double click and open...

Another point is a bit of self-defense. Our users are far to be smart computer users, and in the past we had some cases in which someone, trying to clean up a filled-up disk, deleted a directory under his Paradox database (!!!) and then asked us why the app was not loading anymore....

BLOB’s cause a lot problem for all DBs. Not unless the DB engine can understand their structure and process them. It is not worth the effort.

It can hit the DB performance in Indexing, backups, migrations and load balancing.

Regarding backups I disagree. Files related to database must be consistent to the database itself, so backup must be done saving both database and images. AFAIK there's not a big difference in backing up image files versus BLOBS in a database.
I agree about load balancing, but only in case of a bulk load of several megabytes. (our actual server got an overload 2 months ago when a client we were activating sent a transaction with the insertion of 50 blobs sizing about 300 megabytes)

Hope this helps.