Routine maintenance - vacuum, analyse and autovacuum

От Iain
Тема Routine maintenance - vacuum, analyse and autovacuum
Дата
Re: Routine maintenance - vacuum, analyse and autovacuum
Список pgsql-admin
Hi All,

I'm supposed to put together a plan for the routine maintenance of the new database we are building using v7.4, and I have a question or two.

I'm interested in the auto vacuum daemon, but havn't located any good information about it so far, I'd like to know if people generally recommend using it or not.

If we use it, can we stop using nightly vacuums? I'd like to do this if possible, since the current version (it's a 7.1 db) of the system runs a number of batch processes at night (large deletes and large inserts), and finishes with a vacuum analyse. The vacuum takes quite a long time and the nightly window is gradually getting tighter and tighter.

On the other hand, the system is quite busy during the day, and once the batch processes have finished the system is idle until about 9am.

The system is used 365 days a year, which doesn't leave much opportunity for VACUUM FULL or unload reloads.

If I start a VACUUM FULL, is it ok to interrupt it part way through? I mean, is a partially completed vacuum full worth anything, and is there any danger in routinely killing it?

Thanks for your help,
regards
Iain