Re: Not so happy with psql's new multiline behavior

От Michael Paesold
Тема Re: Not so happy with psql's new multiline behavior
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Michael Paesold wrote:
>
>> When you edit a multiline function in zsh, you can easily press
>> Control-C,
>> then type "man zsh", return, and press "up" to continue editing the
>> function as it was left when you pressed Control-C.
>
> Not sure about zsh's Ctrl-C, but in bash I press Esc-# and a # is
> prepended to the current line and entered into the history.  This is
> what I use when I want to review some manpage or something.

Nice, didn't know about that.

> It also "works" in psql, but unsurprisingly it also prepends #.  We
> could fix it by having it prepend -- instead, or maybe enclose the
> current editing buffer in /* */.
>
> (This only works in a single line fashion in bash, but I don't see why
> we couldn't make it work multiline in psql.)

The main big difference between zsh and bash is that zsh allows real
in-place multiline editing. You can use your arrow keys to navigate through
the "buffer".

I don't know how the new psql mode works. Does it do multi-line editing even
including returns? I probably should try it out myself...

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold