Not so happy with psql's new multiline behavior

От Tom Lane
Тема Not so happy with psql's new multiline behavior
Дата
Re: Not so happy with psql's new multiline behavior  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Not so happy with psql's new multiline behavior  ("Sergey E. Koposov" <math@sai.msu.ru>)
Re: Not so happy with psql's new multiline behavior  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Has anyone else been finding the recent behavior of CVS-tip psql
to be a disimprovement?  I've gotten sufficiently annoyed with it
that I'm ready to propose reverting this patch:

* src/bin/psql/: help.c, input.c, input.h, mainloop.c, prompt.c,tab-complete.c: o Improve psql's handling of multi-line
statements   Currently, while \e saves a single statement as one entry,interactive    statements are saved one line at
atime.  Ideally allstatements    would be saved like \e does.Sergey E. Koposov

Maybe it's just that I'm too used to the old behavior, but I don't like
anything about the way it works now.  As an example, the new behavior is
extremely unfriendly to backslash commands.  I just got done typing a
long command and then deciding that I would like to have \timing on, so
I hit return (which in prior versions would have entered the line into
the history buffer), typed \timing, hit return again, hit control-P, and
found that I'd lost my long command.  In other situations I find that
control-P pulls back weird combinations of SQL and backslash commands,
and there's no way AFAICT to separate the two.

At a minimum this code has to be fixed to understand the difference
between backslash commands and SQL lines, and not combine them in
history entries; otherwise we should revert it.  I'm leaning to "revert"
since I haven't actually seen a case where pulling back multiple lines
helped me ... but maybe that just reflects that I don't retype multiline
SQL commands all that much.

Comments?