Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

От Robert J. Sanford, Jr.
Тема Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> 1. What is your favorite GUI tool for PostgreSQL?

I use psql command-line client from Linux, OSX, and Win32 (via Cygwin)
client systems. The only time I will use a graphical tool is for something
like ERWin to import the schema via ODBC and draw me a pretty picture to
make sure that the picture in my head matches the picture in the database.

> 2. In your organization, do you have someone who
>    works as full time PostgreSQL DBA?

I could only wish that were true - We use both MS SQL and PostgreSQL.
Various team members will monkey with the database based on need although we
have a single point man that all mods must go through. Everyone has a pretty
solid foundation on the basics of database design and implementation but the
technical/infrastructure administration of servers is a skill that we are
lacking.

> 3. What is the biggest challenge you have with
>    PostgreSQL? Administration or Programming?

Given the skill set of my team it doesn't matter what database system we use
but technical/infrastructure administration skill sets are needed.

I do admit that I am more comfortable using the MS SQL tools than I am with
the PostgreSQL tools but that is based more on a lack of experience in a
*nix shell than the quality of the toolset.

> 4. Overall, do you like PostgreSQL? Would you
>    recommend it over MySQL?

From a cost and performance basis I love PostgreSQL. We chose PostgreSQL
three years ago over MySQL because of transactions, views, sub-selects,
triggers and stored procedures. If I were to choose between OSS database
systems today I would have to choose between PostgreSQL and SAP DB (not an
option three years ago). I have not looked at MySQL seriously since I first
chose PostgreSQL although my understanding is that they have made some
strides in the areas that I mentioned above. However, now that they have
taken over the development of SAP DB I don't think that their existing code
base is going to mature any further.

> 5. How often do your PostgreSQL run into problem
>    or crash? Are most of the problem caused by
>    PostgreSQL itself?

The only time my database server has ever gone down was due to hardware
failure.

rjsjr