Re: lookup tables

От Marc Mitchell
Тема Re: lookup tables
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Jodi,

A common model within the databases of many of our applications is to have
a "codes" table for providing "lookup" values for columns of ANY table.
This allows you to deploy a single set of routines on the front end to
getting, listing and validating fields against the code-ified list of
values.

The joining columns of this codes table are field name and table reference.
Entries' fundamental attributes are the code itself, a short description, a
long description and a usage note.

Joining to this codes table is always an option and often done in reports
were the value stored in the main table is merely the coded value but the
short or long description is desired on the report itself.

As for setting up actual foreign key references, we don't normally do that
but, admittedly, that's more due to apathy than design.  The real value in
doing so would be the ability to enforce validation of these code-ified
values at a database level rather than the application level.  To easily do
so, you'd probably want to add a single field primary key to the codes
table since, without one, the primary key is the composite of code and
table reference and putting the latter column into the foreign key
reference tables seems to me redundant.  You could also hand craft your
constraints with triggers and procedures.

Hope this is useful.

Marc