Re: Installing PostGreSQL automatically

От Greg
Тема Re: Installing PostGreSQL automatically
Дата
RES: Installing PostGreSQL automatically  ("Alejandro Michelin Salomon \( Adinet \)" <alejmsg@adinet.com.uy>)
Список pgsql-general
Ok, I have installed PostGreSQL as a service with pg_ctl.

But when I try to start the service using pg_ctl start, I am told I have to
run the service under a non-administrator account. Which account is
used/created by the standard PostGreSQL MSI installer?

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Armin Massa [mailto:haraldarminmassa@gmail.com]
Sent: 23 May 2006 08:43 AM
To: Greg
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Installing PostGreSQL automatically

Greg,

all the registry-entries are for "convenience", that is: to make it
possible for the installer to check if PostgreSQL is installed.

So to use PostgreSQL on Win32, simple distribute the files found
within <programs>PostgreSQL/8.1/ from a normal installation. ["normal"
is quite a challenge nontheless, as "normally" client & server libs
are distributed; together with PG-Admin in default installation]

Your challenge in not using the installer remains:

a) arranging the path correctly so that all libs are found

b) creating a user with appropriate privilges
[in corporate environments that is often better done
by whatever user administration tool they use]

c) creating the service [check pg_ctl --help]

d) initialising the datadir (initdb --help)

I tried to went down that road because of problems with earlier
pg-installers (8.0.0 beta and before); and it was harder than it
sounds, so I moved back to the installer. I recommend to you to do the
same - or report back your sucess.

On http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller/ you can find the source
to the installer; to recheck what exactly that MSI is doing; maybe
Installshield is even able to "include" the MSI definitions from there
(they are made for the "free" tools from MS to build installers)

Best wishes

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa