Re: Exposing DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR via a libpq function?

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: Exposing DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR via a libpq function?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Larry Rosenman" <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
>> What's the harm of a (pseudo code):
>
>>  const char *PQgetunixsocketdir(void)
>>  {
>>     return(DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR)
>>  }
>
>> In libpq, and a psql command line switch to call it.
>
> By the time you get done adding the infrastructure and documentation
> for those two layers of features, you're talking about many hundreds
> of lines of stuff, not four.  There are also definitional issues
> (what does this do on platforms without Unix sockets) and future
> proofing (will we always have DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR).  So "what's the
> harm" is not the appropriate measure --- especially when this
> proposal clearly doesn't help in a lot of the scenarios in which one
> might wish to know the information.

I know that it's not just the 4 line function, etc.  However, there is
currentlyno way to find out if that non-standard setting has been changed.  Is it
safe to assumethat we will always have a "default" unix socket that we connect to if no
hostname is specified?

However, as I said a couple of messages back, this isn't gonna fly, based on
your objections,so I'm gonna drop it.
Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3683 US

Сообщение: Re: Exposing DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR via a libpq function?
Сообщение: Re: Exposing DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR via a libpq function?