User password management (The solution .. kind of)

От Neil Burrows
Тема User password management (The solution .. kind of)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

OK, having read through the list archive it appears that this problem about
users not being able to change their passwords is a problem for many people.

Has anyone come up with a good solution yet?

I may be missing something obvious here, but could a program just be written
using libpq or similar that logs into the database as the superuser (or
another user with CREATE USER privs).  It would work in the same way as the
unix passwd command in that it takes old password from user, compares it
then asks for new password if they match?

Does such a utility exist?  If so where?

If not, would anyone like to write one?  I would volunteer, but if I did it
would be in C, meaning a recompile would be required whenever the Superusers
password changed.  I reckon PERL would be the ideal option as if there would
be no problems of users finding the SU password if users only had execute
permission on the script and not read.

I plan to learn PERL in the near future, however do not see it being in the
next few month as I've plenty to do. :)

If I've missed something please let me know.

Regards,

Neil Burrows