linux question might be bad forum for it.

От Joel Fradkin
Тема linux question might be bad forum for it.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

I have a Redhat AS4 server I set up just for postgres and it has thus far been extremely excellent.

I am getting to the final stages of my conversion from MSSQL and I want to make sure I am doing things correctly.

I wanted to be able to use VNC for remote admin (is this the best tool?)

I tried turning it on following the VNC instructions from a web page and it appeared to create a VNC session (had to type some stuff in terminal window). When I try to access it though it just says conection denied. The macine is behind a fire wall and the machine I was using to tes was also behind the fire wall. The linux does not have firewall turned on or SELinux. Any ideas why I would get a permission denied. Is there a VNC for dummies instruction some where? I did get telnet up so maybe I can use this. I will be using VPN to access the machine and it will not have a public IP (thus no fire wall stuff on the box needed).

Also as I near completion I am going to want to visit the sloni project to get replication going between the production box and our development server. Any hints ideas , urls I should study.

The other concerns I have are making sure I have a good backup (that I can restore) and a regular vacuum. I have been following threads and have seen the mention of no need to do a Vacuum verbose. What are the best tools for doing the auto vacuum and backup. I have the Linux box and also will have local windows boxes where I can set up programs to do automated SQL tasks.

Appreciate the wisdom of those who know to help keep my experience a positive one.

Thus far we still have some queries that are slower, but over all it has been a huge success and will allow our company to continue to grow without the bloated MSSQL licensing costs. Just the four processor initial system will save in the neighborhood of 70k which more then offsets the man hours for the conversion.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Tel.  941-753-7111 ext 305

jfradkin@wazagua.com
www.wazagua.com
Powered by Wazagua
Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools.
© 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc
 This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.