Обсуждение: Detailed release notes

Detailed release notes

От
Marcos Pegoraro
Дата:
I'm now using version 14 and planning to update to 17 as soon as it comes available. Then looking carefully to release notes to see exactly what I'll get when updated I see lots of unexplained features. Just because release notes does not explain exactly what that change does. And I don't have a way to get what code or messages generated that feature.

  • Allow query nodes to be run in parallel in more cases (Tom Lane)
    Cool this feature, but when and what kind of query will use this ?

  • Improve EXPLAIN's display of SubPlan nodes and output parameters (Tom Lane, Dean Rasheed)
    hmm, interesting, but what exactly ?

Everything that is done in Postgres is public, all messages and code are available to anyone, but when I want to know what that feature is exactly using release notes, I don't know how to find it.

I think it would be very interesting if we have on release notes what was discussed for that change.
  • Allow query nodes to be run in parallel in more cases (Tom Lane) CF1 and CF2

  • Improve EXPLAIN's display of SubPlan nodes and output parameters (Tom Lane, Dean Rasheed) CF1

And these CF links could point to commitfest or email messages or even a detailed tutorial of that feature.

regards
Marcos

Re: Detailed release notes

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 26 Jul 2024, at 14:30, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br> wrote:
>
> I'm now using version 14 and planning to update to 17 as soon as it comes available. Then looking carefully to
releasenotes to see exactly what I'll get when updated I see lots of unexplained features. Just because release notes
doesnot explain exactly what that change does. And I don't have a way to get what code or messages generated that
feature.

There is a way, but it's not exactly visible from reading the release notes.

>     • Allow query nodes to be run in parallel in more cases (Tom Lane)
> Cool this feature, but when and what kind of query will use this ?

Reading the source of the release notes will show a comment which links to the
commit.  The source can be seen here:

    https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/REL_17_STABLE/doc/src/sgml/release-17.sgml

..and the comment for this item is:

<!--
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
2023-07-14 [e08d74ca1] Allow plan nodes with initPlans to be considered paralle
-->

      <listitem>
       <para>
       Allow query nodes to be run in parallel in more cases (Tom Lane)
       </para>
      </listitem>

This comment tells us the relevant commit is e08d74ca1, which can be found here:

    https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/e08d74ca1

This in turn leads to the mailinglist discussion for this specific feature:

    https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1129530.1681317832@sss.pgh.pa.us

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Detailed release notes

От
Marcos Pegoraro
Дата:
Em sex., 26 de jul. de 2024 às 09:45, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> escreveu:

There is a way, but it's not exactly visible from reading the release notes.

Cool, didn't know that.

Re: Detailed release notes

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 26 Jul 2024, at 15:00, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br> wrote:

> But why is that just a hidden comment and not a visible link for us ?

That's likely the wrong level of detail for the overwhelming majority of
release notes readers.  I have a feeling this was discussed not too long ago
but (if so) I fail to find that discussion now.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Detailed release notes

От
Marcos Pegoraro
Дата:
Em sex., 26 de jul. de 2024 às 10:11, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> escreveu:

That's likely the wrong level of detail for the overwhelming majority of
release notes readers.  I have a feeling this was discussed not too long ago
but (if so) I fail to find that discussion now.

Wrong level ? Where is the appropriate place on DOCs to see exactly what I'll get when updated ?
A separate page "Detailed Release Notes" ? I don't think so.
I think release notes are sometimes the only place we read to decide if an upgrade is doable or not.

Well, that opened my eyes, now I can see detailed info about every feature when it's committed.
And I'm really convinced that a small link to that commit wouldn't get dirty release notes.

Re: Detailed release notes

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 9:26 AM Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br> wrote:
> Well, that opened my eyes, now I can see detailed info about every feature when it's committed.
> And I'm really convinced that a small link to that commit wouldn't get dirty release notes.

+1. I think those links would be useful to a lot of people.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Detailed release notes

Дата:
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>> On 26 Jul 2024, at 15:00, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br> wrote:
>> But why is that just a hidden comment and not a visible link for us ?

> That's likely the wrong level of detail for the overwhelming majority of
> release notes readers.  I have a feeling this was discussed not too long ago
> but (if so) I fail to find that discussion now.

Yeah, I too recall some discussion of surfacing the commit links
somehow, perhaps as a popup tooltip.  Nobody's got round to it yet.
It's not real clear how to handle multiple links per <para>, which
happens from time to time in major release notes and just about
everyplace in minor release notes.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Detailed release notes

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 6:56 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 9:26 AM Marcos Pegoraro <marcos@f10.com.br> wrote:
> > Well, that opened my eyes, now I can see detailed info about every feature when it's committed.
> > And I'm really convinced that a small link to that commit wouldn't get dirty release notes.
>
> +1. I think those links would be useful to a lot of people.

+1. I've been asked a lot of times how to find the associated commit
IDs from release note items. These links would help users know the
details of the changes, and I believe many users would like to do
that.

Masahiko Sawada

Re: Detailed release notes

От
Marcos Pegoraro
Дата:
Em sex., 26 de jul. de 2024 às 13:01, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> escreveu:

+1. I've been asked a lot of times how to find the associated commit
IDs from release note items. These links would help users know the
details of the changes, and I believe many users would like to do
that.

Yes, this way release notes would explain itself.

For now my release notes will be this
and not this

regards
Marcos