Обсуждение: PG16.1 security breach?

PG16.1 security breach?

От
"Zwettler Markus (OIZ)"

I am running the following on Postgres 16.1 in database "postgres" as a superuser:

revoke create on schema public from public;

revoke create on database postgres from public;

create schema if not exists oiz;

revoke create on schema oiz from public;

grant usage on schema oiz to public;

create or replace function oiz.f_set_dbowner (p_dbowner text, p_dbname text)

returns void

language plpgsql

security definer

as $$

when I create a new role in following:

create role testuser with password 'testuser' login;

postgres=# \du testuser

     List of roles

Role name | Attributes

-----------+------------

testuser  |

than this new role is able to execute the function oiz.f_set_dbowner immediately even I did not grant execute on this function to this role!

postgres=> \conninfo

You are connected to database "postgres" as user "testuser" on host "cmpgdb-pg-eng900.eng.cmp.szh.loc" (address "10.199.112.56") at port "5017".

SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.3, cipher: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, compression: off)

postgres=> select oiz.f_set_dbowner ('testuser','database1');

f_set_dbowner

---------------

(1 row)

The role is also able to execute the function even I revoke any execute privilege explicitly:

revoke execute on function oiz.f_set_dbowner (p_dbowner text, p_dbname text) from testuser;

There are also no default privileges on the schema:

postgres=# \ddp

         Default access privileges

Owner | Schema | Type | Access privileges

-------+--------+------+-------------------

(0 rows)

postgres=> \df+ oiz.f_set_dbowner

                                                                                       List of functions

Schema |     Name      | Result data type |      Argument data types      | Type | Volatility | Parallel |  Owner   | Security |  Access privileges  | Language | Internal name | Description

--------+---------------+------------------+-------------------------------+------+------------+----------+----------+----------+---------------------+----------+---------------+-------------

oiz    | f_set_dbowner | void             | p_dbowner text, p_dbname text | func | volatile   | unsafe   | postgres | definer  | =X/postgres        +| plpgsql  |               |

        |               |                  |                               |      |            |          |          |          | postgres=X/postgres |          |               |

(1 row)

postgres=> \l postgres

                                                       List of databases

   Name   |  Owner   | Encoding | Locale Provider |   Collate   |    Ctype    | ICU Locale | ICU Rules |   Access privileges

----------+----------+----------+-----------------+-------------+-------------+------------+-----------+-----------------------

postgres | postgres | UTF8     | libc            | de_CH.utf-8 | de_CH.utf-8 |            |           | =Tc/postgres         +

          |          |          |                 |             |             |            |           | postgres=CTc/postgres

(1 row)

What I am missing? Is there something new with PG 16? Is it a bug?

Cheers, Markus

Re: PG16.1 security breach?

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 6/7/24 07:04, Zwettler Markus (OIZ) wrote:
> I am running the following on Postgres 16.1 in database "postgres" as a
> superuser:

<snip>

> create or replace function oiz.f_set_dbowner (p_dbowner text, p_dbname text)

<snip>

> create role testuser with password 'testuser' login;

<snip>

> than this new role is able to execute the function oiz.f_set_dbowner
> immediately even I did not grant execute on this function to this role!

See:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createfunction.html

In particular, this part:
8<------------------------
Another point to keep in mind is that by default, execute privilege is
granted to PUBLIC for newly created functions (see Section 5.7 for more
information). Frequently you will wish to restrict use of a security
definer function to only some users. To do that, you must revoke the
default PUBLIC privileges and then grant execute privilege selectively.
To avoid having a window where the new function is accessible to all,
create it and set the privileges within a single transaction. For example:
8<------------------------

HTH,

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

AW: [Extern] Re: PG16.1 security breach?

От
"Zwettler Markus (OIZ)"
> On 6/7/24 07:04, Zwettler Markus (OIZ) wrote:
> > I am running the following on Postgres 16.1 in database "postgres" as
> > superuser:
>
> <snip>
>
> > create or replace function oiz.f_set_dbowner (p_dbowner text, p_dbname
> > text)
>
> <snip>
>
> > create role testuser with password 'testuser' login;
>
> <snip>
>
> > than this new role is able to execute the function oiz.f_set_dbowner
> > immediately even I did not grant execute on this function to this role!
>
> See:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createfunction.html
>
> In particular, this part:
> 8<------------------------
> Another point to keep in mind is that by default, execute privilege is granted to
> PUBLIC for newly created functions (see Section 5.7 for more information).
> Frequently you will wish to restrict use of a security definer function to only some
> users. To do that, you must revoke the default PUBLIC privileges and then grant
> execute privilege selectively.
> To avoid having a window where the new function is accessible to all, create it and
> set the privileges within a single transaction. For example:
> 8<------------------------
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Joe Conway
> PostgreSQL Contributors Team
> RDS Open Source Databases
> Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com
>
> --- Externe Email: Vorsicht mit Anhängen, Links oder dem Preisgeben von
> Informationen ---

Argh. No! What a bad habit!

Might be good idea for an enhancement request to create a global parameter to disable this habit.

Thanks Markus

Re: PG16.1 security breach?

От
"David G. Johnston"