Обсуждение: psql - prompt for password

psql - prompt for password

От
Edwin UY
Дата:
Hi,

Is createuser the only one I can use to create a user where it prompts for a password? There is no alteruser though.
I want to use psql and \prompt but am lost on how to use it.
Basically just want to use it for running a psql script like for example - ALTER USER spongebob WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD ':newpassword';

Regards,
Ed

Re: psql - prompt for password

От
Holger Jakobs
Дата:
Am 30.05.24 um 10:07 schrieb Edwin UY:
> Hi,
>
> Is createuser the only one I can use to create a user where it prompts
> for a password? There is no alteruser though.
> I want to use psql and \prompt but am lost on how to use it.
> Basically just want to use it for running a psql script like for
> example - ALTER USER spongebob WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD ':newpassword';
>
> Regards,
> Ed

You can feed a command into psql for that.

Example:

echo "alter user spongebob password 'secret2'" | psql

Add arguments for psql, like -U -d -h -p as needed.

Regards,

Holger

--

Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Вложения

Re: psql - prompt for password

От
Kashif Zeeshan
Дата:
Hi Edwin

You can use \prompt for this reason, following is the example.
You first use the \prompt to get the password and store into a variable
You can then user CREATE USER Command and supply the variable used with \prompt to provide the password.
I hope this helps.

=# \prompt 'Enter password for new user: ' new_user_password
Enter password for new user: test
# CREATE USER spongebob WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD :'new_user_password';
CREATE ROLE

Regards
Kashif Zeeshan
Bitnine Global

On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 1:07 PM Edwin UY <edwin.uy@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Is createuser the only one I can use to create a user where it prompts for a password? There is no alteruser though.
I want to use psql and \prompt but am lost on how to use it.
Basically just want to use it for running a psql script like for example - ALTER USER spongebob WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD ':newpassword';

Regards,
Ed

Re: psql - prompt for password

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
On 2024-05-30 10:07 +0200, Edwin UY wrote:
> Is createuser the only one I can use to create a user where it prompts for
> a password? There is no alteruser though.
> I want to use psql and \prompt but am lost on how to use it.
> Basically just want to use it for running a psql script like for example -
> ALTER USER spongebob WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD ':newpassword';

Or use \password which has the benefit of not leaking the plaintext
password into the logs which would be the case if there's an error in
the ALTER USER command.

    psql -c '\password spongebob'

--
Erik