Обсуждение: Document use of ldapurl with LDAP simple bind

Document use of ldapurl with LDAP simple bind

От
Jacob Champion
Дата:
Hi all,

Our documentation implies that the ldapurl setting in pg_hba is used
for search+bind mode only. It was pointed out to me recently that this
is not true, and if you're dealing with simple bind on a non-standard
scheme or port, then ldapurl makes the HBA easier to read:

    ... ldap ldapurl="ldaps://ldap.example.net:49151" ldapprefix="cn="
ldapsuffix=", dc=example, dc=net"

0001 tries to document this helpful behavior a little better, and 0002
pins it with a test. WDYT?

Thanks,
--Jacob

Вложения

Re: Document use of ldapurl with LDAP simple bind

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 24.05.24 20:54, Jacob Champion wrote:
> Our documentation implies that the ldapurl setting in pg_hba is used
> for search+bind mode only. It was pointed out to me recently that this
> is not true, and if you're dealing with simple bind on a non-standard
> scheme or port, then ldapurl makes the HBA easier to read:
>
>      ... ldap ldapurl="ldaps://ldap.example.net:49151" ldapprefix="cn="
> ldapsuffix=", dc=example, dc=net"
>
> 0001 tries to document this helpful behavior a little better, and 0002
> pins it with a test. WDYT?

Yes, this looks correct.  Since ldapurl is really just a shorthand that
is expanded to various other parameters, it makes sense that it would
work for simple bind as well.

hba.c has this error message:

"cannot use ldapbasedn, ldapbinddn, ldapbindpasswd, ldapsearchattribute,
ldapsearchfilter, or ldapurl together with ldapprefix"

This appears to imply that specifying ldapurl is only applicable for
search+bind.  Maybe that whole message should be simplified to something
like

"configuration mixes arguments for simple bind and search+bind"

(The old wording also ignores that the error might arise via "ldapsuffix".)