Обсуждение: Okay to remove mention of mystery @ and ~ operators?

Okay to remove mention of mystery @ and ~ operators?

От
Colin Caine
Дата:
Hello

This page says that the `@` and `~` operators on various types can be accelerated by a GiST index.

These operators have been listed in the file since it was created in 2014, but if they exist then I don't know how to use them or what they do.

Code examples, for clarity:

> select box '(0,0),(1, 1)' ~ box '(2,2),(3,3)';
operator does not exist: box ~ box

> select box '(0,0),(1, 1)' @ box '(2,2),(3,3)';
operator does not exist: box @ box

If they're a typo or some removed thing then I'd like to remove them from the page. This email is me asking to find out if I'm wrong about that before I try to submit a patch (also very happy for someone with a committer bit to just fix this).

Cheers,
Col

Re: Okay to remove mention of mystery @ and ~ operators?

От
Aleksander Alekseev
Дата:
Hi,

> This page says that the `@` and `~` operators on various types can be accelerated by a GiST index.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/gist-builtin-opclasses.html
>
> These operators have been listed in the file since it was created in 2014, but if they exist then I don't know how to
usethem or what they do.

> Code examples, for clarity:
>
> > select box '(0,0),(1, 1)' ~ box '(2,2),(3,3)';
> operator does not exist: box ~ box
>
> > select box '(0,0),(1, 1)' @ box '(2,2),(3,3)';
> operator does not exist: box @ box
>
> If they're a typo or some removed thing then I'd like to remove them from the page. This email is me asking to find
outif I'm wrong about that before I try to submit a patch (also very happy for someone with a committer bit to just fix
this).

Indeed, there is no @(box,box) or ~(box,box) in the \dAo output. These
operators were removed by 2f70fdb0644c back in 2020.

I will submit a patch for the documentation shortly. Thanks for reporting.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Re: Okay to remove mention of mystery @ and ~ operators?

От
Aleksander Alekseev
Дата:
Hi,

> > This page says that the `@` and `~` operators on various types can be accelerated by a GiST index.
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/gist-builtin-opclasses.html
> >
> > These operators have been listed in the file since it was created in 2014, but if they exist then I don't know how
touse them or what they do.

> > Code examples, for clarity:
> >
> > > select box '(0,0),(1, 1)' ~ box '(2,2),(3,3)';
> > operator does not exist: box ~ box
> >
> > > select box '(0,0),(1, 1)' @ box '(2,2),(3,3)';
> > operator does not exist: box @ box
> >
> > If they're a typo or some removed thing then I'd like to remove them from the page. This email is me asking to find
outif I'm wrong about that before I try to submit a patch (also very happy for someone with a committer bit to just fix
this).

> Indeed, there is no @(box,box) or ~(box,box) in the \dAo output. These
> operators were removed by 2f70fdb0644c back in 2020.
>
> I will submit a patch for the documentation shortly. Thanks for reporting.

Here is the patch.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Вложения

Re: Okay to remove mention of mystery @ and ~ operators?

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 19 Apr 2024, at 12:31, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>>> This page says that the `@` and `~` operators on various types can be accelerated by a GiST index.
>>>
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/gist-builtin-opclasses.html
>>>
>>> These operators have been listed in the file since it was created in 2014, but if they exist then I don't know how
touse them or what they do.

>>> Code examples, for clarity:

>>> operator does not exist: box ~ box

>>> operator does not exist: box @ box
>>>
>>> If they're a typo or some removed thing then I'd like to remove them from the page. This email is me asking to find
outif I'm wrong about that before I try to submit a patch (also very happy for someone with a committer bit to just fix
this).

>> Indeed, there is no @(box,box) or ~(box,box) in the \dAo output. These
>> operators were removed by 2f70fdb0644c back in 2020.
>>
>> I will submit a patch for the documentation shortly. Thanks for reporting.
>
> Here is the patch.

Nice catch, and thanks for the patch.  I'll apply it with a backpatch to when
they were removed.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Okay to remove mention of mystery @ and ~ operators?

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 19 Apr 2024, at 13:49, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>> On 19 Apr 2024, at 12:31, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:

>> Here is the patch.
>
> Nice catch, and thanks for the patch.  I'll apply it with a backpatch to when
> they were removed.

Done, thanks for the report and the patch!

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Okay to remove mention of mystery @ and ~ operators?

От