Обсуждение: Delay Memoize hashtable build until executor run

Delay Memoize hashtable build until executor run

От
David Rowley
Дата:
Currently, nodeMemoize.c builds the hashtable for the cache during
executor startup.  This is not what is done in hash joins. I think we
should make the two behave the same way.

Per [1] and the corresponding discussion leading to that, making a
possibly large allocation at executor startup can lead to excessively
long EXPLAIN (not EXPLAIN ANALYZE) times.  This can confuse users as
we don't mention in EXPLAIN where the time is being spent.

Although there's not yet any conclusion that Memoize is to blame,
there's another report from someone confused about where this time is
being spent in [2].

Working on the Memoize code, I originally created the hash table
during executor startup to save on having to check we have a table
each time the node is executed.  However, the branch for this should
be quite predictable and I doubt it'll add any overhead that we would
notice.

The patch to do this is attached.

David

[1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=1e731ed12aa
[2] https://postgr.es/m/61e642df-5f48-4e4e-b4c3-58936f90ddaa@thefreecat.org

Вложения

Re: Delay Memoize hashtable build until executor run

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 at 19:54, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently, nodeMemoize.c builds the hashtable for the cache during
> executor startup.  This is not what is done in hash joins. I think we
> should make the two behave the same way.

I ran a few benchmarks on this, mostly for archive purposes.

-- Test 1:  Demonstrate there is a problem

drop table if exists t,r;
create table t (a int);
create table r (a int primary key);
insert into t select x%5000000 from generate_Series(1,20000000)x;
insert into r select x from generate_Series(0,4999999)x;
vacuum analyze t,r;
set work_mem='1GB';
set enable_hashjoin=0;
set enable_mergejoin=0;
set max_parallel_workers_per_gather=0;
\timing on

explain (summary on) select count(*) from t inner join r on t.a=r.a;

set enable_memoize=1;

-- I'm including Planning Time just to show that the extra time is not
spent in planning
Planning Time: 0.094 ms -> Time: 53.061 ms
Planning Time: 0.093 ms -> Time: 53.064 ms
Planning Time: 0.095 ms -> Time: 69.682 ms

set enable_memoize=0;

Planning Time: 0.113 ms -> Time: 0.438 ms
Planning Time: 0.111 ms -> Time: 0.436 ms
Planning Time: 0.113 ms -> Time: 0.445 ms

Conclusion: There's a problem

-- Patched with memoize on
Planning Time: 0.116 ms -> Time: 0.472 ms
Planning Time: 0.118 ms -> Time: 0.444 ms
Planning Time: 0.117 ms -> Time: 0.443 ms

Conclusion: The patch fixes the problem

-- Test 2:  Make sure we're not slowing things down by checking the
table exists each tuple

drop table if exists t,r;

create table t (a int);
create table r (a int primary key);

insert into t select 1 from generate_series(1,1000000);
insert into r select x from generate_series(1,1000000)x;
vacuum analyze t,r;

set enable_hashjoin=0;
set enable_mergejoin=0;
set enable_memoize=1;
set max_parallel_workers_per_gather=0;

-- only 1 cache miss so that we hammer the cache hit code as hard as we can
-- with the smallest hash table possible so lookups are very fast.
explain (analyze, timing off) select count(*) from t inner join r on t.a=r.a;

-- Master
Execution Time: 206.403 ms
Execution Time: 211.472 ms
Execution Time: 204.688 ms

-- Patched
Execution Time: 205.967 ms
Execution Time: 206.406 ms
Execution Time: 205.061 ms

Conclusion: No slowdown.

I'll push this change to master only as there don't seem to have been
any complaints.  We can reconsider that if someone complains.

David

Re: Delay Memoize hashtable build until executor run

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 at 12:25, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll push this change to master only as there don't seem to have been
> any complaints.  We can reconsider that if someone complains.

Pushed.

David