Обсуждение: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Rambabu V
Дата:
Hi Team,

We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.

We are seeing the issue below.

our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?

and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Rambabu V
Дата:
Thanks, any alternative solution for my requirement .

In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode.its complete downtime.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, 22:23 Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
Have you asked the consul developers?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 12:33 PM Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, any alternative solution for my requirement .

In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode.its complete downtime.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, 22:23 Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Karthik Yellapragada
Дата:
May be you can pg auto failover..

--
Thanks & Regards
Karthik Yellapragada

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Rambabu V
Дата:
Hi Karthik,

This is docker based Postgtresql, behavior is different than our normal one for failover and promotion.

Thanks, any alternative solution for my requirement .

In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode.its complete downtime.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, 22:23 Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

--
Thanks & Regards
Karthik Yellapragada
+1 860 830 5235

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
kaido vaikla
Дата:
Consul is DCS for patroni. If consul cluster is completely down, then patroni is unaware of state of cluster.
And "In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode"
is expected.
 Actually this behave protects database from split brain

br
Kaido

This is docker based Postgtresql, behavior is different than our normal one for failover and promotion.

Thanks, any alternative solution for my requirement .

In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode.its complete downtime.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, 22:23 Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

--
Thanks & Regards
Karthik Yellapragada
+1 860 830 5235

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
kaido vaikla

Consul is DCS for patroni. If consul cluster is completely down, then patroni is unaware of state of cluster.
And "In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode"
is expected.
 Actually this behave protects database from split brain

br
Kaido

This is docker based Postgtresql, behavior is different than our normal one for failover and promotion.

Thanks, any alternative solution for my requirement .

In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode.its complete downtime.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, 22:23 Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

--
Thanks & Regards
Karthik Yellapragada
+1 860 830 5235

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Rambabu V
Дата:
thanks Kaido, applied to the above option. getting good result.

Consul is DCS for patroni. If consul cluster is completely down, then patroni is unaware of state of cluster.
And "In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode"
is expected.
 Actually this behave protects database from split brain

br
Kaido

This is docker based Postgtresql, behavior is different than our normal one for failover and promotion.

Thanks, any alternative solution for my requirement .

In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode.its complete downtime.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, 22:23 Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

--
Thanks & Regards
Karthik Yellapragada
+1 860 830 5235

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Rambabu V
Дата:
Hi Kaido,

Using patroni 3+ version, even though enabled failsafe_mide, still if consul cluster down, master db going down. Replicas remaining same.

> [...]

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, 22:23 Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

--
Thanks & Regards
Karthik Yellapragada
+1 860 830 5235

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

Дата:
Attachment for the same.

Using patroni 3+ version, even though enabled failsafe_mide, still if consul cluster down, master db going down. Replicas remaining same.

thanks Kaido, applied to the above option. getting good result.

Consul is DCS for patroni. If consul cluster is completely down, then patroni is unaware of state of cluster.
And "In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode"
is expected.
 Actually this behave protects database from split brain

br
Kaido

This is docker based Postgtresql, behavior is different than our normal one for failover and promotion.

Thanks, any alternative solution for my requirement .

In above case if consul down , db master node going down, replica nodes remains recovery mode.its complete downtime.

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, 22:23 Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2023, at 7:12 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have implemented postgresql HA with Patroni + Consul cluster on Docker based PostgreSQL Setup.
>
> We are seeing the issue below.
>
> our consul cluster built with 3 nodes, if consul cluster completely down, Patroni triggering failover.
> Is there any option to prevent this failure even if the consul cluster is down also?
>
> and also any effective alternative for HA for docker based PostgreSQL setup?

How do you expect to have working HA without working networking?

--
Thanks & Regards
Karthik Yellapragada
+1 860 830 5235
Вложения

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
> On Dec 22, 2023, at 11:11 PM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Using patroni 3+ version, even though enabled failsafe_mide, still if consul cluster down, master db going down.
Replicasremaining same.

If you don't have working network infrastructure, you cannot have reliable HA on Postgres--nor any other service.

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Rambabu V
Дата:
Hi Scott,

but as per the patroni documentation , if we enable failsafe_mode option, incase of dcs down, cluster status should remain the same without any action. but it is not happening.

On Sat, Dec 23, 2023 at 9:29 PM Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2023, at 11:11 PM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Using patroni 3+ version, even though enabled failsafe_mide, still if consul cluster down, master db going down. Replicas remaining same.

If you don't have working network infrastructure, you cannot have reliable HA on Postgres--nor any other service.

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
> On Dec 23, 2023, at 6:33 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> but as per the patroni documentation , if we enable failsafe_mode option, incase of dcs down, cluster status should
remainthe same without any action. but it is not happening.

"...if it can access all known members of the cluster via Patroni REST API."

Is that your problem?

Really, you're pissing away time poking at a symptom, when the underlying cause needs to be fixed.

Re: Need inputs on postgresql HA with consul cluster

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
> On Dec 22, 2023, at 11:13 PM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Attachment for the same.

So? You posted that before. As I quoted from the Patroni documentation about failsafe_mode, which you surely read, it
onlyworks if the Patroni instances can still communicate with each other over their REST APIs.

I am going to say this once more, then I will no longer participate in this thread: IF YOUR NETWORK (AND DCS) ARE NOT
WORKING,YOU CANNOT HAVE RELIABLE HA.