Обсуждение: Python installation selection in Meson

Python installation selection in Meson

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I noticed that under meson, the selection of the Python installation
using the 'PYTHON' option doesn't work completely.  The 'PYTHON' option
determined the Python binary that will be used to call the various build
support programs.  But it doesn't affect the Python installation used
for PL/Python.  For that, we need to pass the program determined by the
'PYTHON' option back into the find_installation() routine of the python
module.  (Otherwise, find_installation() will just search for an
installation on its own.)  See attached patch.  I ran this through
Cirrus, seems to work.
Вложения

Re: Python installation selection in Meson

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2023-11-28 19:02:42 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I noticed that under meson, the selection of the Python installation using
> the 'PYTHON' option doesn't work completely.  The 'PYTHON' option determined
> the Python binary that will be used to call the various build support
> programs.  But it doesn't affect the Python installation used for PL/Python.
> For that, we need to pass the program determined by the 'PYTHON' option back
> into the find_installation() routine of the python module.  (Otherwise,
> find_installation() will just search for an installation on its own.)  See
> attached patch.  I ran this through Cirrus, seems to work.

Makes sense!

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Python installation selection in Meson

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 2023-11-28 Tu 13:02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I noticed that under meson, the selection of the Python installation
> using the 'PYTHON' option doesn't work completely.  The 'PYTHON'
> option determined the Python binary that will be used to call the
> various build support programs.  But it doesn't affect the Python
> installation used for PL/Python.  For that, we need to pass the
> program determined by the 'PYTHON' option back into the
> find_installation() routine of the python module.  (Otherwise,
> find_installation() will just search for an installation on its own.)
> See attached patch.  I ran this through Cirrus, seems to work.

I noticed when working on the meson/windows stuff that meson would try
to build plpython against its python installation, which failed
miserably. The workaround was to abandon separate meson/ninja
installations via chocolatey, and instead install them using pip. Maybe
this was as a result of the above problem?

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Python installation selection in Meson

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 29.11.23 14:23, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 2023-11-28 Tu 13:02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I noticed that under meson, the selection of the Python installation
>> using the 'PYTHON' option doesn't work completely.  The 'PYTHON'
>> option determined the Python binary that will be used to call the
>> various build support programs.  But it doesn't affect the Python
>> installation used for PL/Python.  For that, we need to pass the
>> program determined by the 'PYTHON' option back into the
>> find_installation() routine of the python module.  (Otherwise,
>> find_installation() will just search for an installation on its own.)
>> See attached patch.  I ran this through Cirrus, seems to work.
>
> I noticed when working on the meson/windows stuff that meson would try
> to build plpython against its python installation, which failed
> miserably. The workaround was to abandon separate meson/ninja
> installations via chocolatey, and instead install them using pip. Maybe
> this was as a result of the above problem?

That sounds like it could be the case.

Re: Python installation selection in Meson

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 28.11.23 19:16, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2023-11-28 19:02:42 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I noticed that under meson, the selection of the Python installation using
>> the 'PYTHON' option doesn't work completely.  The 'PYTHON' option determined
>> the Python binary that will be used to call the various build support
>> programs.  But it doesn't affect the Python installation used for PL/Python.
>> For that, we need to pass the program determined by the 'PYTHON' option back
>> into the find_installation() routine of the python module.  (Otherwise,
>> find_installation() will just search for an installation on its own.)  See
>> attached patch.  I ran this through Cirrus, seems to work.
>
> Makes sense!

I have committed this, and also backpatched to 16 to keep the behavior
consistent.