Обсуждение: Question regarding the new SQL standard

Question regarding the new SQL standard

От
Anders Kildemand
Дата:
Hello!

What's the situation with Property Graph Queries in Postgres?

I've heard that it has become part of the SQL standard from this blog: https://peter.eisentraut.org/blog/2023/04/04/sql-2023-is-finished-here-is-whats-new

How far in development is this feature? and is there an expected time frame for when it'll be finished?

Best regards
Anders Kildemand

Re: Question regarding the new SQL standard

Дата:
Anders Kildemand <AndKil@erst.dk> writes:
> What's the situation with Property Graph Queries in Postgres?

There isn't any.

> I've heard that it has become part of the SQL standard from this blog:
https://peter.eisentraut.org/blog/2023/04/04/sql-2023-is-finished-here-is-whats-new
> How far in development is this feature? and is there an expected time frame for when it'll be finished?

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding about how Postgres
development works.  There is plenty of stuff in the standard that
nobody has any particular interest in implementing for PG.  Perhaps
someone will take an interest in implementing this feature, or
perhaps not.  But there's no project-wide goal to make it happen,
much less a timetable.  Even if someone does take an interest,
they might not succeed in producing a committable patch.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Question regarding the new SQL standard

От
Raymond Brinzer
Дата:
I'd like to express my appreciation for a project with a feature set so extensive that a person might mistakenly assume that its goal was to cover the spec comprehensively.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 10:32 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Anders Kildemand <AndKil@erst.dk> writes:
> What's the situation with Property Graph Queries in Postgres?

There isn't any.

> I've heard that it has become part of the SQL standard from this blog: https://peter.eisentraut.org/blog/2023/04/04/sql-2023-is-finished-here-is-whats-new
> How far in development is this feature? and is there an expected time frame for when it'll be finished?

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding about how Postgres
development works.  There is plenty of stuff in the standard that
nobody has any particular interest in implementing for PG.  Perhaps
someone will take an interest in implementing this feature, or
perhaps not.  But there's no project-wide goal to make it happen,
much less a timetable.  Even if someone does take an interest,
they might not succeed in producing a committable patch.

Ray Brinzer

Re: Question regarding the new SQL standard

От
Imre Samu
Дата:
What's the situation with Property Graph Queries in Postgres?

If the underlying question is how to utilize graph database functionality in PostgreSQL, there are similar extensions that may be worth exploring:
- Apache AGE is a PostgreSQL extension that provides graph database functionality.  https://age.apache.org/
- AgensGraph is a transactional graph database based on PostgreSQL.  https://github.com/bitnine-oss/agensgraph
- etc.

Related : https://www.dylanpaulus.com/posts/postgres-is-a-graph-database/ (  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35386948 )

Best regards,
  Imre

Re: Question regarding the new SQL standard

Дата:
On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 11:46:18AM -0400, Raymond Brinzer wrote:
> I'd like to express my appreciation for a project with a feature set so
> extensive that a person might mistakenly assume that its goal was to cover the
> spec comprehensively.

Okay, I couldn't stop smiling from this comment.  :-)