Обсуждение: PostgreSQL and GUI management

PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Jason Long
Дата:
Hello,
Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it only managed through CLI?

Thank you.

AW: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
"[Quipsy] Markus Karg"

I am using pg_admin in the browser, and it works rather fine for me.

-Markus

Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it only managed through CLI?

Thank you.

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hi

Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it only managed through CLI?

Regards

Pavel

Thank you.

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Pavel Stehule

Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it only managed through CLI?

Regards

Pavel

Thank you.

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Albrecht Dreß
Дата:
Am 15.08.23 17:08 schrieb(en) Jason Long:
> Hello,Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it only managed through CLI?

Have a look at DBeaver <https://dbeaver.io/> – I use the Eclipse plug-in, but there are stand-alone (free) versions,
too.

Hth, Albrecht.
Вложения

Re: AW: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Jason Long
Дата:
Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
Is it free?
Has it met all your needs?

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 6:40 PM, [Quipsy] Markus Karg
I am using pg_admin in the browser, and it works rather fine for me.

-Markus

Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it only managed through CLI?

Thank you.

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 8/15/23 08:08, Jason Long wrote:
> Hello,
> Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it
> only managed through CLI?

There are, but make your life easier and learn to use psql:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html

It ships with Postgres and runs close to the database. Saves you the
time tracking down the issues that the GUI transformation code introduce.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it only managed through CLI?

There are, but make your life easier and learn to use psql:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html

It ships with Postgres and runs close to the database. Saves you the time tracking down the issues that the GUI transformation code introduce.

Thank you.

Adrian,
Much as I love it, psql is not what I would call a management tool?

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата:
Much as I love it, psql is not what I would call a management tool?

We have a multi-terabyte cluster in production which we manage using psql.

Locally I use IntelliJ IDEA for development (has syntax highlight, code completion, introspection etc.). IDEA has a PostgreSQL plugin which is only commercially available, and uses the same components as DataGrip, AFAIK.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 8/15/23 11:43, Rob Sargent wrote:
> On 8/15/23 12:38, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 8/15/23 08:08, Jason Long wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it
>>> only managed through CLI?
>>
>> There are, but make your life easier and learn to use psql:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html
>>
>> It ships with Postgres and runs close to the database. Saves you the
>> time tracking down the issues that the GUI transformation code introduce.
>>

>>> Thank you.
>>
> Adrian,
> Much as I love it, psql is not what I would call a management tool?

Why not?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

út 15. 8. 2023 v 20:38 odesílatel Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> napsal:
On 8/15/23 08:08, Jason Long wrote:
> Hello,
> Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it
> only managed through CLI?

There are, but make your life easier and learn to use psql:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html

It ships with Postgres and runs close to the database. Saves you the
time tracking down the issues that the GUI transformation code introduce.

regards

Pavel

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
Does PostgreSQL have a graphical environment for management or is it only managed through CLI?

There are, but make your life easier and learn to use psql:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html

It ships with Postgres and runs close to the database. Saves you the time tracking down the issues that the GUI transformation code introduce.

Thank you.

Adrian,
Much as I love it, psql is not what I would call a management tool?

Why not?

All the nice buzzwordy things: dashboards, alarm bells, point-and-click drop downs for config values (with tool tip descriptions of what they might do), coffee dispenser.  Things some feel they need in a management tool.

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 8/15/23 13:52, Rob Sargent wrote:
> On 8/15/23 12:57, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> Adrian,
>>> Much as I love it, psql is not what I would call a management tool?
>>
>> Why not?
>>

> All the nice buzzwordy things: dashboards, alarm bells, point-and-click
> drop downs for config values (with tool tip descriptions of what they
> might do), coffee dispenser.  Things some feel they need in a management
> tool.

Ahh, the boss screen. Where you look like you are doing something when
you are not.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: PostgreSQL and GUI management

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата:
All the nice buzzwordy things: dashboards, alarm bells, point-and-click drop downs for config values (with tool tip descriptions of what they might do), coffee dispenser.  Things some feel they need in a management tool.

If you need these things, I'm sure there's a budget somewhere for investing in available commercial tools, some already mentioned in this thread.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Вложения