Обсуждение: [16Beta1][doc] pgstat: Track time of the last scan of a relation

[16Beta1][doc] pgstat: Track time of the last scan of a relation

От
"Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)"
Дата:
Hi, hackers.
 PostgreSQL 16 Beta1, added last access time to pg_stat_all_tables and pg_stat_all_indexes views by this patch [1].
According to the documentation [2], the data type of the columns added to these views is 'timestamptz'.
However, columns of the same data type in pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum, last_analyze and other tables are unified to
'timestampwith time zone'. The attached patch changes the data type of the added column from timestamptz to timestamp
withtime zone.

[1] pgstat: Track time of the last scan of a relation
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=c037471832e1ec3327f81eebbd8892e5c1042fe0
[2] pg_stat_activity view
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-PG-STAT-ALL-TABLES-VIEW

Regards,
Noriyoshi Shinoda

Вложения

Re: [16Beta1][doc] pgstat: Track time of the last scan of a relation

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Wed, 31 May 2023 at 15:57, Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)
<noriyoshi.shinoda@hpe.com> wrote:
> According to the documentation [2], the data type of the columns added to these views is 'timestamptz'.
> However, columns of the same data type in pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum, last_analyze and other tables are unified
to'timestamp with time zone'. The attached patch changes the data type of the added column from timestamptz to
timestampwith time zone.

I agree that it would be good to make those consistently use timestamp
with time zone for all columns of that type in the docs for
pg_stat_all_tables.

More generally, it might be good if we did it for the entire docs:

doc $ git grep "<type>timestamptz</type>" | wc -l
17
doc $ git grep "<type>timestamp with time zone</type>" | wc -l
74

Clearly "timestamp with time zone" is much more commonly used.

The bar is probably set a bit higher for changing the
longer-established ones, however.

David

RE: [16Beta1][doc] pgstat: Track time of the last scan of a relation

От
"Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)"
Дата:
Hi, Thanks for your comment.
As you say, it would be difficult to unify the data types in all documents right now.
The patch I attached the other day unifies only the newly added columns in monitoring.sgml to "timestamp with time
zone".

Regards,
Noriyoshi Shinoda
> According to the documentation [2], the data type of the columns added to these views is 'timestamptz'.
> However, columns of the same data type in pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum, last_analyze and other tables are unified
to'timestamp with time zone'. The attached patch changes the data type of the added column from timestamptz to
timestampwith time zone.

I agree that it would be good to make those consistently use timestamp with time zone for all columns of that type in
thedocs for pg_stat_all_tables.

More generally, it might be good if we did it for the entire docs:

doc $ git grep "<type>timestamptz</type>" | wc -l
17
doc $ git grep "<type>timestamp with time zone</type>" | wc -l
74

Clearly "timestamp with time zone" is much more commonly used.

The bar is probably set a bit higher for changing the longer-established ones, however.

David

Re: [16Beta1][doc] pgstat: Track time of the last scan of a relation

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Wed, 31 May 2023 at 15:57, Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)
<noriyoshi.shinoda@hpe.com> wrote:
>  PostgreSQL 16 Beta1, added last access time to pg_stat_all_tables and pg_stat_all_indexes views by this patch [1].
> According to the documentation [2], the data type of the columns added to these views is 'timestamptz'.
> However, columns of the same data type in pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum, last_analyze and other tables are unified
to'timestamp with time zone'. The attached patch changes the data type of the added column from timestamptz to
timestampwith time zone.

I've now pushed this change.

David

RE: [16Beta1][doc] pgstat: Track time of the last scan of a relation

От
"Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)"
Дата:
Hi, David.