Обсуждение: Request for information about postgres version 15.2 stability

Request for information about postgres version 15.2 stability

От
gayathri ramesh
Дата:
Hi Team,

Our company is currently supporting around 100+ postgres databases and we are planning to upgrade to version 15.2. We want to ensure that there are no major critical bugs that could impact our production systems.

I would appreciate if you could provide us with information about the stability of postgres version 15.2. We are particularly interested in knowing if there are any known critical bugs or issues that could potentially impact the system.

Thanks in advance. looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards.

Re: Request for information about postgres version 15.2 stability

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/release-15-2.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Request for information about postgres version 15.2 stability

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Tue, 2023-04-18 at 12:26 +0530, gayathri ramesh wrote:
> Our company is currently supporting around 100+ postgres databases and we are planning
> to upgrade to version 15.2. We want to ensure that there are no major critical bugs
> that could impact our production systems.
>
> I would appreciate if you could provide us with information about the stability of
> postgres version 15.2. We are particularly interested in knowing if there are any
> known critical bugs or issues that could potentially impact the system.

To see a list of bugs fixed since 15.2 came out, look at the commit log:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/REL_15_STABLE

Release 15.2 came out on 2023-02-09.

We don't have any information about yet undiscovered PostgreSQL bugs.

We believe that PostgreSQL 15.2 is a great and stable database, but we are biased.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Request for information about postgres version 15.2 stability

Дата:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> We don't have any information about yet undiscovered PostgreSQL bugs.

Indeed.

> We believe that PostgreSQL 15.2 is a great and stable database, but we are biased.

One moderately objective way to see how stable a release branch is
is to count how many commits fix bugs in that branch but not any
older branch.  If a bug would be problematic for you but it also
appears in (say) v14 and v13, then choosing to use one of those
branches instead of v15 wouldn't have saved you.  Also, if a commit
goes back that far, it means that the bug escaped detection for
multiple years in production, which suggests that it is minor and/or
doesn't affect many people.  (I hasten to add that we do find some
bugs that are both old and serious.)

A quick review of commits since 15.2 says that practically all of the
ones that don't also affect v14 or before have to do with glitches in
new-in-15 features, such as the MERGE command.  Which is code you
wouldn't be using anyway if your application would be satisfied with
an older branch.  So I'd judge that 15 is pretty stable at this point,
and there is very little reason to prefer any older branch.

If you want to do your own analysis along these lines, the gitweb
interface isn't especially friendly for comparing commit logs of
different branches.  I'd suggest using our git_changelog script:

git clone https://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
cd postgresql
src/tools/git_changelog >../pg-revision-history

This produces output that collates matching commits in different
branches.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Request for information about postgres version 15.2 stability

От
Stéphane Dunand
Дата:
Le 18/04/2023 à 08:56, gayathri ramesh a écrit :
> Hi Team,
>
> Our company is currently supporting around 100+ postgres databases and
> we are planning to upgrade to version 15.2. We want to ensure that
> there are no major critical bugs that could impact our production systems.
>
> I would appreciate if you could provide us with information about the
> stability of postgres version 15.2. We are particularly interested in
> knowing if there are any known critical bugs or issues that could
> potentially impact the system.
>
> Thanks in advance. looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Best Regards.
a great summary of what was done
https://why-upgrade.depesz.com/show?from=10.23&to=15.2&keywords=