Обсуждение: The use "Postgres" in docs

The use "Postgres" in docs

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
The docs use PostgreSQL and not Postgres in all but two places, which I think
we should change like in the attached to be consistent. Any objections to this?

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Вложения

Re: The use "Postgres" in docs

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2023-Mar-14, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> The docs use PostgreSQL and not Postgres in all but two places, which I think
> we should change like in the attached to be consistent. Any objections to this?

Both are very new.  No objection to the change.

Re: The use "Postgres" in docs

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 3/14/23 7:31 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2023-Mar-14, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>
>> The docs use PostgreSQL and not Postgres in all but two places, which I think
>> we should change like in the attached to be consistent. Any objections to this?
>
> Both are very new.  No objection to the change.

+1 -- good catch.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: The use "Postgres" in docs

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 14 Mar 2023, at 13:55, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> On 3/14/23 7:31 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> On 2023-Mar-14, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> The docs use PostgreSQL and not Postgres in all but two places, which I think
>>> we should change like in the attached to be consistent. Any objections to this?
>> Both are very new.  No objection to the change.
>
> +1 -- good catch.

Applied, thanks!

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Nulls Not Distinct in Unique Indexes secton

От
Kirk Parker
Дата:
The Unique Indexes section (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/indexes-unique.html) does not mention the new NULLS [ NOT ] DISTINCT capability of indexes (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-createindex.html), and it probably should.

Specifically, it has the exact wording from previous versions (emphasis added):

    When an index is declared unique, multiple table
    rows with equal indexed values are not allowed.
    *Null values are not considered equal*.

We should consider adding "unless the NULLS NOT DISTINCT clause is used when creating the index", or something to that effect.

Re: Nulls Not Distinct in Unique Indexes secton

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Tue, 2023-03-14 at 08:24 -0700, Kirk Parker wrote:
> The Unique Indexes section (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/indexes-unique.html)
> does not mention the new NULLS [ NOT ] DISTINCT capability of indexes
> (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-createindex.html), and it probably should.
>
> Specifically, it has the exact wording from previous versions (emphasis added):
>
>     When an index is declared unique, multiple table
>     rows with equal indexed values are not allowed.
>     *Null values are not considered equal*.
>
> We should consider adding "unless the NULLS NOT DISTINCT clause is used when
> creating the index", or something to that effect.

+1

Here is a patch for that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe