Обсуждение: Should fix a comment referring to stats collector?

Should fix a comment referring to stats collector?

От
torikoshia
Дата:
Hi,

Statistics collector has been removed since 5891c7a8ed8f2d3d5, but there
was a comment referring 'statistics collector' in pg_statistic.h.

>  Note that since the arrays are variable-size, K may be chosen by the
> statistics collector.

Should it be modified to 'cumulative statistics system' like manual on
monitoring stats[1]?
Its title has changed from 'statistics collector' to 'cumulative
statistics system'.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/monitoring-stats.html

Atsushi Torikoshi
NTT DATA CORPORATION
Вложения

Re: Should fix a comment referring to stats collector?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2022-Jul-29, torikoshia wrote:

> Statistics collector has been removed since 5891c7a8ed8f2d3d5, but there was
> a comment referring 'statistics collector' in pg_statistic.h.
>
> >  Note that since the arrays are variable-size, K may be chosen by the
> > statistics collector.
>
> Should it be modified to 'cumulative statistics system' like manual on
> monitoring stats[1]?

I don't think this refers to the statistics collector process; I
understand it to refer to ANALYZE that captures the data being stored.
Maybe it should just say "K may be chosen at ANALYZE time".

"Nadie está tan esclavizado como el que se cree libre no siéndolo" (Goethe)

Re: Should fix a comment referring to stats collector?

От
torikoshia
Дата:
On 2022-07-30 02:53, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I don't think this refers to the statistics collector process; I
> understand it to refer to ANALYZE that captures the data being stored.

Thanks for the explanation!

> Maybe it should just say "K may be chosen at ANALYZE time".

It seems clearer than current one.

Atsushi Torikoshi
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: Should fix a comment referring to stats collector?

Дата:
On Mon, Aug  1, 2022 at 09:05:45PM +0900, torikoshia wrote:
> On 2022-07-30 02:53, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > I don't think this refers to the statistics collector process; I
> > understand it to refer to ANALYZE that captures the data being stored.
>
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> > Maybe it should just say "K may be chosen at ANALYZE time".
>
> It seems clearer than current one.

Change made in master.