Обсуждение: pg_buffercache: add sql test

pg_buffercache: add sql test

От
Dong Wook Lee
Дата:
Hi, hackers
I just wrote a test code for the `pg_buffercache` extension which
doesn't not have test code.
I wrote the sql query to ensure that the buffer cache results are the
same when `make installcheck` is performed.

---
regards
Lee Dong Wook.

Вложения

Re: pg_buffercache: add sql test

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 6 Jun 2022, at 15:30, Dong Wook Lee <sh95119@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wrote a test code for the `pg_buffercache` extension which
> doesn't not have test code.

Please add this patch to the next commitfest to make sure it's not lost before
then.

    https://commitfest.postgresql.org/38/

Re: pg_buffercache: add sql test

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* Daniel Gustafsson (daniel@yesql.se) wrote:
> > On 6 Jun 2022, at 15:30, Dong Wook Lee <sh95119@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just wrote a test code for the `pg_buffercache` extension which
> > doesn't not have test code.
>
> Please add this patch to the next commitfest to make sure it's not lost before
> then.
>
>     https://commitfest.postgresql.org/38/

Seems to be there now, at least:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/38/3674/

However, I don't think we should have a 'target version' set for this
(and in particular it shouldn't be 15).  I'd suggest removing that.

Thanks,

Stephen

Re: pg_buffercache: add sql test

От
Dong Wook Lee
Дата:
I removed it on your advice.
Thanks.

2022년 6월 7일 (화) 오전 2:04, Stephen Frost <stephen@crunchydata.com>님이 작성:

> Greetings,
>
> * Daniel Gustafsson (daniel@yesql.se) wrote:
> > > On 6 Jun 2022, at 15:30, Dong Wook Lee <sh95119@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I just wrote a test code for the `pg_buffercache` extension which
> > > doesn't not have test code.
> >
> > Please add this patch to the next commitfest to make sure it's not lost before
> > then.
> >
> >       https://commitfest.postgresql.org/38/
>
> Seems to be there now, at least:

> However, I don't think we should have a 'target version' set for this
> (and in particular it shouldn't be 15).  I'd suggest removing that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

Re: pg_buffercache: add sql test

Дата:
Dong Wook Lee <sh95119@gmail.com> writes:
> I just wrote a test code for the `pg_buffercache` extension which
> doesn't not have test code.

Pushed with minor adjustments.  Some notes:

* A .gitignore file is needed so that "git status" won't whine after
running the test.  This tends to be pretty much boilerplate; I copied
it from another contrib directory.

* Pay attention to "git diff --check" formatting warnings.  In this
case it bleated about an extra blank line at the end of the .sql file.

* I didn't care for the direct use of pg_show_all_settings().  The
official API there is the pg_settings view, and there's no need for
this test to get friendly with the view's internals.

Thanks for the patch!

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_buffercache: add sql test

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 3:39 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> * A .gitignore file is needed so that "git status" won't whine after
> running the test.  This tends to be pretty much boilerplate; I copied
> it from another contrib directory.

Is there any reason we don't add a .gitignore in the contrib/
directory to ignore all */log/, */results/ and */tmp_check/  by
default rather having at least /log/, /results/ and /tmp_check/ in
almost all subdirectories .gitignore?  Sure any underlying
"(log|results|tmp_check)" top-directory will then be ignored even if
it's not supposed to be needed, but I don't think it would matter in
practice.  And if it does matter you could still force some file to be
included or even override the parent gitignore.

Re: pg_buffercache: add sql test

От
Dong Wook Lee
Дата:
I've been missing what I have to add to the .gitignore file when I
write the test.
I will refer to it when I write the test code from now on.

Thank you.

2022년 7월 31일 (일) 오전 4:39, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>님이 작성: