Обсуждение: unoptimized nested loops

unoptimized nested loops

От
Tim Kelly
Дата:
Hello Everyone,
I am stumped as to what I am doing wrong.  I have two tables

metadata: parent table, 1.28m records
data: child table, 1.24m records

metadata contains descriptions of the records in data.  data has two
fields of concern, the id field, which is a foreign key to an identical
field in metadata, and the content field, which contains text ranging
from a few hundred to a few thousand characters.  The id fields are
alphanumeric for historical reasons.  Table descriptions below, some
fields omitted for brevity:

c_db=> \d metadata

   Table "public.metadata"
       Column      |           Type           | Modifiers
------------------+--------------------------+-----------
  id               | character varying(60)    | not null
  author           | character varying(90)    |

     "metadata_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
Referenced by:
     TABLE "data" CONSTRAINT "fk_metadata" FOREIGN KEY (id) REFERENCES
metadata(id)

c_db=> \d data
             Table "public.data"
  Column  |          Type           | Modifiers
---------+-------------------------+-----------
  id      | character varying(30)   | not null
  content | text                    |

     "data_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
Foreign-key constraints:
     "fk_metadata" FOREIGN KEY (id) REFERENCES metadata(id)

I am regularly needing to search the content field in data for short
text segments.  I can reduce the number of rows needing to be searched
by looking for particular types of entries in metadata.  However,
postgresql is apparently refusing to do so, and insists on searching the
entire content column in the data table for the text segment of
interest.  It takes more time to search the effort to reduce than the
entire data table straight up.

To be specific with two approaches:

c_db=> select count(id) from data;
   count
---------
  1248954
(1 row)

Time: 648.358 ms

ic_db=> select count(id) from data where content like '%some text%';
   count
---------
  1167810
(1 row)

Time: 180144.251 ms

c_db=>select count(id) from metadata where author like '%Kelly%';

  count
-------
   3558
(1 row)

Time: 1625.455 ms

c_db=>select count(id) from data where data.content like '%some text%'
and data.id in (select id from metadata where metadata.author like
'%Kelly%');

  count
-------
    152
(1 row)

Time: 211010.598 ms

c_db=> explain analyze select count(id) from data where data.content
like '%some text%' and data.id in (select id from metadata where
metadata.author like '%Kelly%');

                                                                 QUERY
PLAN

  Aggregate  (cost=48203.30..48203.31 rows=1 width=124) (actual
time=213021.968..213021.969 rows=1 loops=1)
    ->  Nested Loop Semi Join  (cost=0.00..48202.99 rows=125 width=124)
(actual time=51392.697..213021.848 rows=152 loops=1)
          ->  Seq Scan on data  (cost=0.00..47132.93 rows=125 width=135)
(actual time=0.176..183040.366 rows=1167810 loops=1)
                Filter: (data ~~ '%some text%'::text)
          ->  Index Scan using metadata_pkey on metadata
(cost=0.00..8.55 rows=1 width=11) (actual time=0.025..0.025 rows=0
loops=1167810)
                Index Cond: ((metadata.id)::text = (data.id)::text)
                Filter: ((metadata.author)::text ~~ '%Kelly%'::text)
  Total runtime: 213022.028 ms
(8 rows)

Time: 213024.273 ms

Alternatively, using an inner join,

c_db=> select count(id) from data inner join metadata on data.id =
metadata.id where data.content like '%some text%' and metadata.author
like '%Kelly%';

  count
-------
    152
(1 row)

Time: 212211.047 ms

c_db=> explain analyze select count(id) from data inner join metadata on
data.id = metadata.id where data.context like '%some text%' and
metadata.author like '%Kelly%';
                                                                 QUERY
PLAN

  Aggregate  (cost=48203.30..48203.31 rows=1 width=124) (actual
time=212800.026..212800.026 rows=1 loops=1)
    ->  Nested Loop  (cost=0.00..48202.99 rows=125 width=124) (actual
time=22463.361..212799.911 rows=152 loops=1)
          ->  Seq Scan on data  (cost=0.00..47132.93 rows=125 width=135)
(actual time=0.542..182952.708 rows=1167810 loops=1)
                Filter: (data ~~ '%some text%'::text)
          ->  Index Scan using metadata_pkey on metadata
(cost=0.00..8.55 rows=1 width=11) (actual time=0.025..0.025 rows=0
loops=1167810)
                Index Cond: ((metadata.id)::text = (data.id)::text)
                Filter: ((metadata.author)::text ~~ '%Kelly%'::text)
  Total runtime: 212800.076 ms
(8 rows)

Time: 212805.008 ms

I do not see evidence that the nested loop is trying to reduce overhead
by using the smaller set.  It seems to want to scan on data first either
way.

I have run vacuum analyze, in the hopes that the optimizer is
miscalculating, to no avail.  I seem to be unable to force postgresql to
use the smaller set to reduce the search, even with the use of "in" on a
subquery.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I am doing wrong on such a
fundamentally normal operation?  I am sure I am missing something really
obvious, but I can't even find discussions about forcing the use of
smaller sets.  I apologize for having to ask about something that is
almost certainly trivial.

I am not subscribed to the list; please reply-all or offline.

Thank you,
tim

Re: unoptimized nested loops

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 at 08:04, Tim Kelly <gtkelly@dialectronics.com> wrote:
>           ->  Seq Scan on data  (cost=0.00..47132.93 rows=125 width=135)
> (actual time=0.542..182952.708 rows=1167810 loops=1)
>                 Filter: (data ~~ '%some text%'::text)

The problem is coming from the 125 row estimate in the above plan
fragment.  Because the number of estimated rows is low, the query
planner likely thinks a Nested Loop join is best.

What I'd do first is verify that some other join method is better by
running the query after having done:

SET enable_nestloop TO off;
<run query>
RESET enble_nestloop;

If the query then runs faster then it's going to be worth doing
something about trying to improve those statistics.

I see the like pattern matching selectivity estimation code does look
at histogram buckets, so you might have luck if you increase the
statistics targets on this column:

ALTER TABLE data ALTER COLUMN data SET STATISTICS 1000;
ANALYZE data;

The standard number of buckets is 100. The above will set it to 1000.
You can go as high as 10000, but going too high is going to slow down
the planner, so you should only go as high as you need to go.

David

Re: unoptimized nested loops

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
c_db=>select count(id) from metadata where author like '%Kelly%';

  count
-------
   3558
(1 row)

It would be interesting to see the explain of this.  We know how many rows it found, but not how many it thinks it will find.

I do not see evidence that the nested loop is trying to reduce overhead
by using the smaller set.  It seems to want to scan on data first either
way.

The planner probably doesn't know which one is smaller.

I have run vacuum analyze, in the hopes that the optimizer is
miscalculating, to no avail.

What version are you using?

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: unoptimized nested loops

Дата:
> On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:04 PM Tim Kelly <gtkelly@dialectronics.com> wrote:
>> I do not see evidence that the nested loop is trying to reduce overhead
>> by using the smaller set.  It seems to want to scan on data first either
>> way.

> The planner probably doesn't know which one is smaller.

There is not a lot of daylight between the cost estimates for
"a nestloop-join b" and "b nestloop-join a", if we're considering
plain seqscans on both tables and all else is equal.  It tends to
come down to factors like which one is more densely populated.

As best I can tell, the issue Tim's unhappy about is not so
much the use of a nestloop as the lack of use of any index.
But "string like '%foo%'" is not at all optimizable with a
btree index.  You might be able to get somewhere with a
pg_trgm GIN or GIST index.

            regards, tom lane

Re: unoptimized nested loops

От
Tim Kelly
Дата:
Thank you to David, Jeff and Tom for your responses.  Tom's response has
made me rethink my question.  I may have provided too much information,
in the effort to anticipate suggestions.  Let me rephrase:

I have two tables, a parent (named "metadata") and a child (named
"data").  Each table has two fields.  One field is shared (the "id," an
alphanumeric field).  The other field in each table is basically the
constraint (named "author" in metadata) and the target (named "content"
data).  Each table has about 1.25m records/rows.  There are about 1500
orphaned child records, but all parent records have a child record.

When I do a search, as the "human in charge (HIC)" I know that the
constraint from the parent table will yield a very small amount of child
table records in which the target needs to be found.  A typical search
yields a few hundred to a few thousand parent records, which should take
milliseconds to search for the target.  A search of all of the child
records for the target that is then compared against the constrained
parent records to produce a pure intersection is very inefficient.

I found discussions from ten years or more ago about where the order of
query arguments would affect the search optimization.  Depending on the
database, the HIC would place a known driving constraint either last or
first in the arguments.  This practice has been reasonably abandoned as
the default practice, but I have been unable to find how to override the
current practice of letting the planner do the work, and the planner is
getting it wrong.  Something that should only take one or two seconds is
now taking three to four minutes.

So, using an even more egregious scenario I found:

c_db=>select count(id) from metadata where author like '%Tim%';

  count
-------
    261
(1 row)

Time: 650.753 ms

c_db=>select count(id) from data where data.content like '%some text%'
and data.id in (select id from metadata where metadata.author like '%Tim%');

  count
-------
     31
(1 row)

Time: 207354.109 ms

Just as a reminder, this is 30 seconds longer than it takes to search
the 1.25m records for the target:

c_db=> select count(id) from data where content like '%some text%';
   count
---------
  1167810
(1 row)

Time: 180144.251 ms

To address David's suggestion of turning off enable_nestloop, this
resulted in about a 10% improvement in speed.  I found no appreciable
difference in time by setting statistics, although there was some
ambiguity in the suggestion.  I assume the statistics are supposed to be
set on the content column,

ALTER TABLE data ALTER COLUMN content SET STATISTICS 1000;

To address Jeff's inquiry about planning on the smaller set:

c_db=> explain analyze select count(id) from metadata where author like
'%Tim%';
                                                     QUERY PLAN

  Aggregate  (cost=114040.65..114040.66 rows=1 width=11) (actual
time=681.639..681.639 rows=1 loops=1)
    ->  Seq Scan on metadata  (cost=0.00..114040.64 rows=5 width=11)
(actual time=3.053..681.591 rows=261 loops=1)
          Filter: ((author)::text ~~ '%Tim%'::text)
  Total runtime: 681.685 ms
(4 rows)

Time: 682.142 ms

For completeness

c_db=> explain analyze select count(id) from metadata inner join data on
metadata.id = data.id where author like '%Tim%' and content like '%some
text%';
                                                                 QUERY
PLAN

  Aggregate  (cost=48203.00..48203.01 rows=1 width=11) (actual
time=208239.776..208239.777 rows=1 loops=1)
    ->  Nested Loop  (cost=0.00..48202.99 rows=5 width=11) (actual
time=34102.795..208239.754 rows=31 loops=1)
          ->  Seq Scan on data  (cost=0.00..47132.93 rows=125 width=11)
(actual time=4.714..179369.126 rows=1167810 loops=1)
                Filter: (content ~~ '%some text%'::text)
          ->  Index Scan using metadata_pkey on metadata
(cost=0.00..8.55 rows=1 width=11) (actual time=0.024..0.024 rows=0
loops=1167810)
                Index Cond: ((metadata.id)::text = (data.id)::text)
                Filter: ((metadata.author)::text ~~ '%Tim%'::text)
  Total runtime: 208239.847 ms
(8 rows)

Time: 208247.698 ms

As for the version

$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 8.4.1
contains support for command-line editing

Let's describe this system as "legacy" and updating is not an option.
If the planner from this version was not optimized compared to more
recent versions, the need for an override is even greater.  However, I
am very reluctant to believe the version is at the heart of the problem.
  I believe I am missing something and perhaps failing to properly
explain my need.

How do I override the planner and instruct the computer to do what I
say, regardless of the outcome?

Thank you,
tim

(I see I've probably provided too much information again.)

Tom Lane wrote:
> As best I can tell, the issue Tim's unhappy about is not so
> much the use of a nestloop as the lack of use of any index.
> But "string like '%foo%'" is not at all optimizable with a
> btree index.  You might be able to get somewhere with a
> pg_trgm GIN or GIST index.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: unoptimized nested loops

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 12:32 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:04 PM Tim Kelly <gtkelly@dialectronics.com> wrote:
>> I do not see evidence that the nested loop is trying to reduce overhead
>> by using the smaller set.  It seems to want to scan on data first either
>> way.

> The planner probably doesn't know which one is smaller.

There is not a lot of daylight between the cost estimates for
"a nestloop-join b" and "b nestloop-join a", if we're considering
plain seqscans on both tables and all else is equal.  It tends to
come down to factors like which one is more densely populated.

As best I can tell, the issue Tim's unhappy about is not so
much the use of a nestloop as the lack of use of any index.

But it is using an index on one of the tables, on "id".  There is no reason it would not be able to reverse that, doing the seq scan on the smaller (in assumed bytes) table and using the id index on the larger (in bytes) table, to great effect.

Based on the timing of the simple counts on "data" with and without the WHERE, I'm pretty sure that what is going on here is that data.content is large and resides mostly in TOAST.  When TOAST needs to be accessed it is much slower than when it doesn't.  And that is also the cause of the estimation problem, the oversized values are just assumed to be distinct, and no histogram is generated. Without histogram boundaries to serve as a randomish sample, the selectivity estimate falls back to something even worse (pattern length), and gets it massively wrong.

But "string like '%foo%'" is not at all optimizable with a
btree index.  You might be able to get somewhere with a
pg_trgm GIN or GIST index.

I agree with the recommendation, but not really the reasoning.  Having the pg_trgm index on metadata.author is might be even better than just getting the planner to do the right thing without the index, but getting the planner to do the right thing even without the index would also be a big improvement over the current plan, if there were just a way to do it.  If the planner explicitly accounted for TOAST cost, that would probably do it.  Or if the selectivity estimates on data.content were better, that would too.  But Tim can't reasonably do anything about those things, while he can build the index.

Another thing he could try would be to force the correct index use by using the inner join, but writing the join condition as "on data.id = metadata.id||''"

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: unoptimized nested loops

От
Tim Kelly
Дата:
I resolved the problem by eliminating the planner from the decision
making altogether, through using a (permanently) temporary table
populated by the subset of data records from an initial query generated
from the metadata, then searching only in the temp table for the actual
data records I want.  I ran this code into a function sxa ("search by
author").  In my particular case I am looking for the same snippet of
text over and over again so I hardwired it into the function.  The
function uses 'like' instead of '=' on the author so I am actually
comparing an exact match using the inner join to a pattern match in the
function.

c_db=> select count(id) from content;
   count
---------
  1248954
(1 row)

Time: 587.325 ms

c_db=> select count(id) from data inner join metadata on data.id =
metadata.id where author = 'Powers';
  count
-------
    347
(1 row)

Time: 519.435 ms

c_db=> select count(id) from data inner join metadata on data.id =
metadata.id where author = 'Powers' and content like '%some text%';
  count
-------
     14
(1 row)

Time: 209895.655 ms

c_db=> select count(id) from sxa('Powers');
  count
-------
     14
(1 row)

Time: 1794.600 ms

The above function run time includes deleting the previous search
results and creating 347 records in the temp table.  I also find that it
appears to sometimes run even faster depending on the search (due to
variation in content length) and can be even less than half the above time:

c_db=> select count(id) from sxa('Zelazny');
  count
-------
     13
(1 row)

Time: 790.551 ms

The inner join time run time variance of searches is greater than the
total time for any search with the function.  Total run time for any
inner join search was always 209 to 211 seconds, as all of the content
values appear to be searched.  Use of a temp table reduced search time
of 1.25m records from 3 1/2 minutes to less than two seconds and in some
cases to less than one.

In summary, the answer to how to overcome a bad decision by the
postgresql planner appears to be move the subset of data into a
temporary table and force postgresql to look in it instead.  The version
of postgresql I am using is 8.4.1, admittedly old.  If there is a newer
version of postgresql that has fixed this, please point me to it and I
will see if I can upgrade to it, instead of crafting functions.  Also,
if someone could refresh my memory on how relational databases are
supposed to work by default, I would appreciate it.  I seem to have
gotten confused somewhere.

tim

c_db=> \d t
               Table "public.t"
  Column  |         Type          | Modifiers
---------+-----------------------+-----------
  id      | character varying(30) | not null
  content | text                  |
     "t_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.sxa(author character varying)
  RETURNS TABLE(id character varying)
  LANGUAGE sql
AS $function$
delete from t;
insert into t (select id, content from metadata inner join data on
metadata.id = data.id where author like $1);
select id from data where id in (select id from t where content like
'%some text%');
$function$
;