commit e07d4ddc55fdcf82082950b3eb0cd8f728284c9d
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   Sat Mar 26 14:29:29 2022 -0400

    Suppress compiler warning in relptr_store().

Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> ./tmp_install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D ./src/test/regress/tmp_check/data -c min_dynamic_shared_memory=1MB
> TRAP: FailedAssertion("val > base", File: "../../../../src/include/utils/relptr.h", Line: 67, PID: 21912)

Yeah, I see it too.

> It looks like this may be pre-existing problem exposed by
> commit e07d4ddc55fdcf82082950b3eb0cd8f728284c9d

Agreed.  Here I see

#5  FreePageManagerInitialize (fpm=fpm@entry=0x7f34b3ddd300,
    base=base@entry=0x7f34b3ddd300 "") at freepage.c:187
#6  0x000000000082423e in dsm_shmem_init () at dsm.c:473

so that where we do

    relptr_store(base, fpm->self, fpm);

the "relative" pointer value would have to be zero, making the case
indistinguishable from a NULL pointer.  We can either change the
caller so that these addresses aren't the same, or give up the
ability to store NULL in relptrs ... doesn't seem like a hard call.

One interesting question I didn't look into is why it takes a nondefault
value of min_dynamic_shared_memory to expose this bug.

            regards, tom lane

At Thu, 19 May 2022 17:16:03 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in
> Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> > ./tmp_install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D ./src/test/regress/tmp_check/data -c min_dynamic_shared_memory=1MB
> > TRAP: FailedAssertion("val > base", File: "../../../../src/include/utils/relptr.h", Line: 67, PID: 21912)
>
> Yeah, I see it too.
>
> > It looks like this may be pre-existing problem exposed by
> > commit e07d4ddc55fdcf82082950b3eb0cd8f728284c9d
>
> Agreed.  Here I see
>
> #5  FreePageManagerInitialize (fpm=fpm@entry=0x7f34b3ddd300,
>     base=base@entry=0x7f34b3ddd300 "") at freepage.c:187
> #6  0x000000000082423e in dsm_shmem_init () at dsm.c:473
>
> so that where we do
>
>     relptr_store(base, fpm->self, fpm);
>
> the "relative" pointer value would have to be zero, making the case
> indistinguishable from a NULL pointer.  We can either change the
> caller so that these addresses aren't the same, or give up the
> ability to store NULL in relptrs ... doesn't seem like a hard call.
>
> One interesting question I didn't look into is why it takes a nondefault
> value of min_dynamic_shared_memory to expose this bug.

The path is taken only when a valid value is given to the
parameter. If we don't use preallocated dsm, it is initialized
elsewhere.  In those cases the first bytes of the base address (the
second parameter of FreePageManagerInitialize) are used for
dsa_segment_header so the relptr won't be zero (!= NULL).

It can be silenced by wasting the first MAXALIGN bytes of
dsm_main_space_begin..

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

At Fri, 20 May 2022 12:00:14 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> At Thu, 19 May 2022 17:16:03 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in
> > Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> > > ./tmp_install/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D ./src/test/regress/tmp_check/data -c min_dynamic_shared_memory=1MB
> > > TRAP: FailedAssertion("val > base", File: "../../../../src/include/utils/relptr.h", Line: 67, PID: 21912)
> >
> > Yeah, I see it too.
> >
> > > It looks like this may be pre-existing problem exposed by
> > > commit e07d4ddc55fdcf82082950b3eb0cd8f728284c9d
> >
> > Agreed.  Here I see
> >
> > #5  FreePageManagerInitialize (fpm=fpm@entry=0x7f34b3ddd300,
> >     base=base@entry=0x7f34b3ddd300 "") at freepage.c:187
> > #6  0x000000000082423e in dsm_shmem_init () at dsm.c:473
> >
> > so that where we do
> >
> >     relptr_store(base, fpm->self, fpm);
> >
> > the "relative" pointer value would have to be zero, making the case
> > indistinguishable from a NULL pointer.  We can either change the
> > caller so that these addresses aren't the same, or give up the
> > ability to store NULL in relptrs ... doesn't seem like a hard call.
> >
> > One interesting question I didn't look into is why it takes a nondefault
> > value of min_dynamic_shared_memory to expose this bug.
>
> The path is taken only when a valid value is given to the
> parameter. If we don't use preallocated dsm, it is initialized
> elsewhere.  In those cases the first bytes of the base address (the
> second parameter of FreePageManagerInitialize) are used for
> dsa_segment_header so the relptr won't be zero (!= NULL).
>
> It can be silenced by wasting the first MAXALIGN bytes of
> dsm_main_space_begin..

Actually, that change doesn't result in wasting of usable memory size
since the change doesn't move the first effective page.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Вложения
On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 11:00 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> The path is taken only when a valid value is given to the
> parameter. If we don't use preallocated dsm, it is initialized
> elsewhere.  In those cases the first bytes of the base address (the
> second parameter of FreePageManagerInitialize) are used for
> dsa_segment_header so the relptr won't be zero (!= NULL).
>
> It can be silenced by wasting the first MAXALIGN bytes of
> dsm_main_space_begin..

Yeah, so when I created this stuff in the first place, I figured that
it wasn't a problem if we reserved relptr == 0 to mean a NULL pointer,
because you would never have a relative pointer pointing to the
beginning of a DSM, because it would probably always start with a
dsm_toc. But when Thomas made it so that DSM allocations could happen
in the main shared memory segment, that ceased to be true. This
example happened not to break because we never use relptr_access() on
fpm->self. We do use fpm_segment_base(), but that accidentally fails
to break, because instead of using relptr_access() it drills right
through the abstraction and doesn't have any kind of special case for
0. So we can fix this by:

1. Using a relative pointer value other than 0 to represent a null
pointer. Andres suggested (Size) -1.
2. Not storing the free page manager for the DSM in the main shared
memory segment at byte offset 0.
3. Dropping the assertion while loudly singing "la la la la la la".

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

> Yeah, so when I created this stuff in the first place, I figured that
> it wasn't a problem if we reserved relptr == 0 to mean a NULL pointer,
> because you would never have a relative pointer pointing to the
> beginning of a DSM, because it would probably always start with a
> dsm_toc. But when Thomas made it so that DSM allocations could happen
> in the main shared memory segment, that ceased to be true. This
> example happened not to break because we never use relptr_access() on
> fpm->self. We do use fpm_segment_base(), but that accidentally fails
> to break, because instead of using relptr_access() it drills right
> through the abstraction and doesn't have any kind of special case for
> 0.

Seems like that in itself is a a lousy idea.  Either the code should
respect the abstraction, or it shouldn't be declaring the variable
as a relptr in the first place.

> So we can fix this by:
> 1. Using a relative pointer value other than 0 to represent a null
> pointer. Andres suggested (Size) -1.
> 2. Not storing the free page manager for the DSM in the main shared
> memory segment at byte offset 0.
> 3. Dropping the assertion while loudly singing "la la la la la la".

I'm definitely down on #3, because that just leaves the ambiguity
in place to bite somewhere else in future.  #1 would work as long
as nobody expects memset-to-zero to produce null relptrs, but that
doesn't seem very nice either.

On the whole, wasting MAXALIGN worth of memory seems like the least bad
alternative, but I wonder if we ought to do it right here as opposed
to somewhere in the DSM code proper.  Why is this DSM space not like
other DSM spaces in starting with a TOC?

            regards, tom lane

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 8:10 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > So we can fix this by:
> > 1. Using a relative pointer value other than 0 to represent a null
> > pointer. Andres suggested (Size) -1.
> > 2. Not storing the free page manager for the DSM in the main shared
> > memory segment at byte offset 0.
> > 3. Dropping the assertion while loudly singing "la la la la la la".
>
> I'm definitely down on #3, because that just leaves the ambiguity
> in place to bite somewhere else in future.  #1 would work as long
> as nobody expects memset-to-zero to produce null relptrs, but that
> doesn't seem very nice either.
>
> On the whole, wasting MAXALIGN worth of memory seems like the least bad
> alternative, but I wonder if we ought to do it right here as opposed
> to somewhere in the DSM code proper.  Why is this DSM space not like
> other DSM spaces in starting with a TOC?

This FPM isn't in a DSM.  (It happens to have DSMs *inside it*,
because I'm using it as a separate DSM allocator: instead of making
them with dsm_impl.c mechanisms, this one recycles space from the main
shmem area).  I view FPM as a reusable 4kb page-based memory allocator
that could have many potential uses, not as a thing that must live
inside another thing with a TOC.  The fact that it uses the relptr
thing makes it possible to use FPM inside DSMs too, but that doesn't
mean it has to be used inside a DSM.

I vote for #1.

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:10 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Seems like that in itself is a a lousy idea.  Either the code should
> respect the abstraction, or it shouldn't be declaring the variable
> as a relptr in the first place.

Yep. I think it should be respecting the abstraction, but the 2016
version of me failed to realize the issue when committing 13e14a78ea1.
Hindsight is 20-20, perhaps.

> > So we can fix this by:
> > 1. Using a relative pointer value other than 0 to represent a null
> > pointer. Andres suggested (Size) -1.
> > 2. Not storing the free page manager for the DSM in the main shared
> > memory segment at byte offset 0.
> > 3. Dropping the assertion while loudly singing "la la la la la la".
>
> I'm definitely down on #3, because that just leaves the ambiguity
> in place to bite somewhere else in future.  #1 would work as long
> as nobody expects memset-to-zero to produce null relptrs, but that
> doesn't seem very nice either.

Well, that's a good point that I hadn't considered, actually. I was
thinking I'd only picked 0 as the value out of adherence to
convention, but I might have had this in mind too, at the time.

--

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:32 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> This FPM isn't in a DSM.  (It happens to have DSMs *inside it*,
> because I'm using it as a separate DSM allocator: instead of making
> them with dsm_impl.c mechanisms, this one recycles space from the main
> shmem area).  I view FPM as a reusable 4kb page-based memory allocator
> that could have many potential uses, not as a thing that must live
> inside another thing with a TOC.  The fact that it uses the relptr
> thing makes it possible to use FPM inside DSMs too, but that doesn't
> mean it has to be used inside a DSM.

Could it use something other than its own address as the base address?
One way to do this would be to put it at the *end* of the
"Preallocated DSM" space, rather than the beginning.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

> Could it use something other than its own address as the base address?

Hmm, maybe we could make something of that idea ...

> One way to do this would be to put it at the *end* of the
> "Preallocated DSM" space, rather than the beginning.

... but that way doesn't sound good.  Doesn't it just move the
problem to the first object allocated inside the FPM?

            regards, tom lane

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 9:09 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Could it use something other than its own address as the base address?
>
> Hmm, maybe we could make something of that idea ...
>
> > One way to do this would be to put it at the *end* of the
> > "Preallocated DSM" space, rather than the beginning.
>
> ... but that way doesn't sound good.  Doesn't it just move the
> problem to the first object allocated inside the FPM?

Count we make the relptrs 1-based, so that 0 is reserved as a sentinel
that has the nice memset(0) property?

> Count we make the relptrs 1-based, so that 0 is reserved as a sentinel
> that has the nice memset(0) property?

Hm ... almost.  A +1 offset would mean that zero is ambiguous with a
pointer to the byte just before the relptr.  Maybe that case never
arises in practice, but now that we've seen this problem I'm not real
comfortable with such an assumption.  But how about a -1 offset?
Then zero would be ambiguous with a pointer to the second byte of the
relptr, and I think I *am* prepared to assume that that has no use-cases.

The other advantage of such a definition is that it'd help flush out
anybody breaking the relptr abstraction ;-)

            regards, tom lane

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 5:52 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > Count we make the relptrs 1-based, so that 0 is reserved as a sentinel
> > that has the nice memset(0) property?
>
> Hm ... almost.  A +1 offset would mean that zero is ambiguous with a
> pointer to the byte just before the relptr.  Maybe that case never
> arises in practice, but now that we've seen this problem I'm not real
> comfortable with such an assumption.  But how about a -1 offset?
> Then zero would be ambiguous with a pointer to the second byte of the
> relptr, and I think I *am* prepared to assume that that has no use-cases.
>
> The other advantage of such a definition is that it'd help flush out
> anybody breaking the relptr abstraction ;-)

Seems backwards to me. A relative pointer is supposed to point to
something inside some range of memory, like a DSM gment -- it can
never be legally used to point to anything outside that segment. So it
seems to me that you could perfectly legally point to the second byte
of the segment, but never to the -1'th byte.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

> Seems backwards to me. A relative pointer is supposed to point to
> something inside some range of memory, like a DSM gment -- it can
> never be legally used to point to anything outside that segment. So it
> seems to me that you could perfectly legally point to the second byte
> of the segment, but never to the -1'th byte.

Okay, I was thinking about it slightly wrong: relptr is defined as an
offset relative to some base address, not to its own address.  As long
as you're prepared to assume that the base address really is the start
of the addressable area, then yeah the above argument works.

However, now that I've corrected that mistaken image ... I wonder if
it could make sense to redefine relptr as self-relative?  That ought
to provide some notational savings since you'd only need to carry
around the relptr's own address not that plus a base address.
Probably not something to consider for v15 though.

            regards, tom lane

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 6:14 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> However, now that I've corrected that mistaken image ... I wonder if
> it could make sense to redefine relptr as self-relative?  That ought
> to provide some notational savings since you'd only need to carry
> around the relptr's own address not that plus a base address.
> Probably not something to consider for v15 though.

I think that would be pretty hard to make work, since copying around a
relative pointer would change its meaning. Code like "relptr_foo x =
*y" would be broken, for example, but the compiler would not complain.
Or maybe I misunderstand your idea?

Also keep in mind that the major use case here is DSM segments, which
can be mapped at different addresses in different processes. Mainly,
we expect to store relative pointers in the segment to other things in
the same segment. Sometimes, we might read the values from there into
local variables - or maybe global variables - in code that is
accessing those DSM segments for some purpose.

There is little use for a relative pointer that can access all of the
address space that exists. For that, it is better to just as a regular
pointer.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

> On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 6:14 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> However, now that I've corrected that mistaken image ... I wonder if
>> it could make sense to redefine relptr as self-relative?  That ought
>> to provide some notational savings since you'd only need to carry
>> around the relptr's own address not that plus a base address.
>> Probably not something to consider for v15 though.

> I think that would be pretty hard to make work, since copying around a
> relative pointer would change its meaning. Code like "relptr_foo x =
> *y" would be broken, for example, but the compiler would not complain.

Sure, but the current definition is far from error-proof as well:
nothing stops you from using the wrong base address with a relptr's
value.  Anyway, it's just idle speculation at this point.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg15b1: FailedAssertion("val > base", File: "...src/include/utils/relptr.h", Line: 67, PID: 30485)

От
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Дата:
At Tue, 31 May 2022 16:10:05 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in